How to get SquidGuard 1.4.2 working on 2.0 Beta3

• Hello,

I just wanted to share a personnal experience on Squidguard.
    After installing a fresh Beta 3, I installed Squid and SquidGuard with no issues.
    After having configured Squid, no problems met.
    It is when I tried to enable SquidGuard I started having troubles. Squidguard would not start and Squid would stop working.

Here is my configuration:
    2.0-BETA3: built on Fri Jun 25 15:37:39 EDT 2010 - FreeBSD 8.1-RC1
    squid: 2.7.8
    squidGuard: 1.4-2

After searching logs I found this:

System Logs:
    Jun 27 16:04:38   squid[ ]: Squid Parent: child process  exited due to signal 6
    Jun 27 16:04:38  squid[ ]: The url_rewriter helpers are crashing too rapidly, need help!

/var/squid/log/cache.log
    2010/06/27 17:08:07| helperOpenServers: Starting 3 'squidGuard' processes 
    /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libdb-4.2.so.2" not found, required by "squidGuard"

2010/06/27 17:08:07| WARNING: url_rewriter #1 (FD 7) exited
    2010/06/27 17:08:07| WARNING: url_rewriter #2 (FD 8) exited
    2010/06/27 17:08:07| Too few url_rewriter processes are running
    FATAL: The url_rewriter helpers are crashing too rapidly, need help!

These error are due to a package missing on my firewall.
    Indeed Squidguard requires the Berkeley DB and more exactly the 4.2 version for squidGuard 1.4-2.

To correct it I downloaded the Package db42.tbz available at following URL:
    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.1-release/Latest/db42.tbz
    Please Copy the URL as I don't manage to get the hyperlink right.

I then uploaded it on my pfsense instance and did the following command to install:
                                pkg_add db42.tbz

After rebotting the firewall, Squidguard is up and running.
    The service doesn't stop anymore.

I had tried prior to uploading the file to do a pkg_add -r db42 unfortunately it would work.
    I had a time out.

It may be due to my current setup.

Anyway I wanted to share this as I spent part of the afternoon on it. Hope this helps

–----------------------------------
    edit:Update for hyperlink

• Thnx a lot for sharing this :)

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

I probably need to rebuild squidguard on 2.0 and adjust the package again. I had to rebuild squid to make it work initially.

I recompiled squidguard and added a couple dependent packages as well, so hopefully it picks up on them now.

• @jimp:

I recompiled squidguard and added a couple dependent packages as well, so hopefully it picks up on them now.

How to remove without removing squidguard squid package? I need this to be put together squidguard lusca-head.
    I tried

pkg_delete squid*

but squidguard always removed too.

Or how to install squidguard without reinstall squid ?

pkg_delete squid* will match squidguard. Just don't use the *, use the full package name as shown in pkg_info.

If that doesn't work, I don't know. I wouldn't recommend using lusca, as that changes your package repository to pull from their repo and not the official package repo, so there is no telling what you are getting.