PfSense CARP VIP and Level 3 switch: unable to ping…

• Hi everyone,

We have a problem to setup two pfsense with CARP VIPs.

The network configuration is not really complicated.

I have a subnet with public IPs: ***.***.124.240/29

• Gateway: ***.***.124.241
    • WAN CARP VIP: ***.***.124.242
    • pfSense #1 WAN IP: ***.***.124.243
    • pfSense #2 WAN IP: ***.***.124.244

And I have a private subnet: 172.16.0.0/24

• LAN CARP VIP: 172.16.0.1 (gateway)
    • Switch Level 3: 172.16.0.3
    • pfSense #1 LAN IP: 172.16.0.253
    • pfsense #2 LAN IP: 172.16.0.252

I configured the sync' between the pfSense and it works through a dedicated interface (named "pfSync") with a private subnet 192.168.254.0/24: no problem here :)

I followed this tutorial to create my failover/redundancy system:

http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Configuring_pfSense_Hardware_Redundancy_(CARP)

The pfSync part is ok, I create the CARP VIPs (LAN and WAN) and I setup the advanced outbound NAT like this:

Interface: LAN
    Source: 172.16.0.0/24
    Source port: *
    Destination: *
    Destination port: *
    NAT address: 172.16.0.1
    NAT port: *
    Static port: NO

(I followed this: "Edit the automatically added rule for LAN. Pick a shared CARP virtual IP address as the Translation IP address")

Now, the pfSense boxes are plugged on two level 3 switches (LAN side). An behind those switches, I have two level 2 switches.

With this configuration, a server which is plugged on a L2 switch cannot ping the 172.16.0.1 (LAN CARP VIP) but can ping 172.16.0.3 (L3 switch).

If I plug the same server on a L2 switch which is directly connected to the two pfSense boxes, I can ping the LAN CARP VIP.

So, I thought that the problem come from the Level 3 switch and indeed, I found that the Level 3 don't ping the LAN CARP VIP !

And I did something: I create a entry in the ARP table of my L3 switch: I indicated the LAN CARP VIP and the mac address assiocated and IT WORKED :)

Here is my problem: how the L3 and the pfSense boxes can communicate without create this entry ? How is it possible that my computer can ping the VIP but not my L3 ? My computer communicates on level 2 and is the only way to ping a CARP VIP ?

Thanks for your help.

• So ARP is failing on the L3 switch, almost certainly because it isn't issuing an ARP request (otherwise it wouldn't be the only thing that didn't work). Maybe a conflicting IP or incorrect mask on the switch. Something in that switch's config isn't right.

• Hi CMB,

Thanks for helping me.

Since I read your answer, I verified all my configuration on my L3 switch and I found nothing that can help me…

I did another test: I tried on the WAN CARP side and I have the same problem, we can't ping the ***.***.124.242 but ***.***.124.243 and ***.***.124.244, yes, we can.

Indeed, the switch of my ISP can't find the WAN CARP. It is odd that our switches (mine and ISP's) can't ping those VIPs, no ? We both have misconfigured switches ?

• I found something. The CARP is a multicast protocol and on my switch, multicast is not activated. Could the problem come from this ?

• It's only multicast between the firewalls, that should have no implications on whether or not you get ARP from that IP.