Unexpected behaviour on adding a new interface



  • My system has LAN and WAN wired NICs, OPT1 is a PCI WiFi NIC and OPT2 was a USB WiFi NIC.

    OPT2 was removed and replaced by a USB 3G modem. I added a new interface for the 3G modem and it became OPT2 but it also inherited at least some of the attributes of the previous OPT2, in particular DHCP service. Unfortunately I couldn't delete DHCP service but neither could I complete the configuration and enabling of the 3G modem.

    I restored the USB WiFi NIC and added a new interface (OPT3) which I was able to configure and enable.



  • What snapshot are you on?

    Can you show me either with screenshot or the config.xml part for opt2 ?



  • I'm now running 2.0-BETA4  (i386)
    built on Wed Aug 18 21:58:53 EDT 2010
    FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE

    I observed this behaviour on a snapshot build of around 11th Aug. I haven't tried to reproduce it on the current snapshot I'm using.

    @ermal:

    Can you show me either with screenshot or the config.xml part for opt2 ?

    I'm happy to do what you ask, but I'm not clear about what you are looking for in a screen shot nor the system state when you want the screen shot. To reproduce this I expect I would have to remove 3G modem and USB WiFi NIC, delete OPT3 interface (3G), add 3G modem, configure 3G modem, enable and apply changes. In all of that, what do you want to see in the screenshots or config.xml fragments?

    I presume that config.xml is just updated on Saves and that "Apply Changes" doesn't modify config.xml. Is that correct? This is relevant if you are looking for changes in config.xml



  • Yeah just give me the info before clicking 'Apply settings'.
    The screenshot would be on interfaces->assign while the config.xml is the state before clicking 'Apply settings'.



  • I'm now using 2.0-BETA4  (i386)
    built on Wed Aug 25 02:21:33 EDT 2010
    FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE

    In addition to the interfaces shown in 1.png I have had OPT3 (3G modem) and OPT4 (run0) in the system and I used the GUI to remove OP3 and OPT4 from the configuration. The OPT3 and OPT4 hardware were removed from the system so the only interfaces physically present were those shown in 1.png.  OPT2 has DHCP server enabled.

    Then I inserted the USB modem. I configured a ppp interface. Available interfaces now shown in 2.png. I was surprised to see the appearance of ral0_wlan1. I clicked the "+" button again and now the ppp0 interface appeared as shown in 3.png. (I'm seeing something different now from what I previously reported.)

    I clicked on the box to enable OPT4 and then clicked Save and saw the report shown in 4.png. This error message is the same as the one I reported earlier in this thread. My previous OPT4 (run0) had DHCP server enabled. Maybe OPT4 "inherited" enabled DHCP server from the "previous" OPT4. Whatever the explanation this behaviour seems wrong. With the increasing number and variety of "hot removable" devices I think it would be better for each "new" device to get a new OPTx name rather than apparently reusing names of "not currently present" devices.

    I've spread the screen shots across additional replies to get around the attachment size limit.






  • Additional screenshots associated with previous reply.





  • Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

    That looks like it might be a side effect of how the wireless config makes a clone interface. It should be assigning the _wlan0 version to the interface and not showing you as having the real wireless parent assigned.



  • Actually, there is no way to assign the _wlan0 version at the moment.  Assigning the parent currently implies assigning the _wlan0 interface for it.


Log in to reply