What is the difference between a 512mb release and a 4g or 2g or 1g release?

• Hi,

I am looking for the latest stables release for an Alix board. I guess that would a nanobsd one???!!!! but I few different versions. Which one should I pick:

pfSense-1.2.3-RELEASE-1g-nanobsd.img.gz 07-Dec-2009 23:45 77M
    pfSense-1.2.3-RELEASE-1g-nanobsd.img.gz.md5 08-Dec-2009 15:42 81
    pfSense-1.2.3-RELEASE-2g-nanobsd.img.gz 07-Dec-2009 23:45 79M
    pfSense-1.2.3-RELEASE-2g-nanobsd.img.gz.md5 08-Dec-2009 15:42 81
    pfSense-1.2.3-RELEASE-4g-nanobsd.img.gz 07-Dec-2009 23:46 82M
    pfSense-1.2.3-RELEASE-4g-nanobsd.img.gz.md5 08-Dec-2009 15:42 81
    pfSense-1.2.3-RELEASE-512mb-nanobsd.img.gz 07-Dec-2009 23:46 76M
    pfSense-1.2.3-RELEASE-512mb-nanobsd.img.gz.md5

Thanks,

• Thanks, but really such a vague way of naming things. Now I have to re-do the whole thing :-(

I think this site owes it's users a nice download page where all version are properly listed with description rather than a tree branch folder output.

Thanks again.

• 1- Also, why the huge size difference between 512mb version and the 2g version: 79MB and 76MB. Is that only related to the way partitioning is done? or does the 2G come with more features pre-installed than the 512MB?

2- Is the card in any case partitioned to provide a mirror backup for some sort of RAID?

3- Where should I keep an eye on if there are bad sectors in the CF card in future or if it's going to die?

Thanks a lot

• @torontob:

1- Also, why the huge size difference between 512mb version and the 2g version: 79MB and 76MB. Is that only related to the way partitioning is done? or does the 2G come with more features pre-installed than the 512MB?

2- Is the card in any case partitioned to provide a mirror backup for some sort of RAID?

3- Where should I keep an eye on if there are bad sectors in the CF card in future or if it's going to die?

Thanks a lot

1. 3MB isn't huge considering there's an extra 1.5GB of (empty) space in the image that is compressed.
    2. There are two partitions to boot from so that you can revert to an older release if necessary, but I believe that the config files themselves are stored separately and are only a single copy.  If you need more redundancy then you should look at a full install with two disks and a RAID controller.
    3. The NanoBSD images have a minimal number of writes made to the cards so that shouldn't be an issue.  If you're worried about it then look for a card that says "self wear-leveling" and use a smaller install image than the size of your card (ie. 4GB nanobsd with an 8GB card).  If you want to do a full install to CF then make sure you are using a card that uses SLC NAND.

• drunkRamblingRemoved

Sorry ^^;
    What i meant to say: i don't think it's as unclear as you display it.
    The wiki has entries for anyone that doesn't get it.
    And just a single google search would reveal what they mean as well.

I just get a "little bit" annoyed at people that don't use the information tools they have availabe ;)

• LOL…..I actually make jokes when I am drunk and never get serious....anyhow....

I am would really like to help bring a few things together and put it on a page but I don't think that is much work anyhow. Please don't forget that any opensource project runs on it's users support and feedback so it's a two way benefit. I am sure the project won't survive if it wasn't for the users who back it up. I asked for something that is to everyone's benefit and definitely nothing outrageous.

Enjoy ;)

• Hi Everyone,

Making a come back to this question. Momentarily, I can't find any good CF SD card with less than 8GB. I have one of those to install. Should I go for the highest 4GB nanobsd version and hope that everything will be fine? or is there some fine tuning that I have to since there is no 8GB nanobsd version listed on the download site.

Thanks

• That depends on the controler used in the CF.
    If it is of some quality, it should balance over the whole card.
    Do you have a technical datasheet of it?

Yes, the 4Gb version would be ok.

• Thanks for feedback.

It's the 8GB listed here:

http://www.kingston.com/flash/cf_elite.asp?id=2

• Just about all CF cards created in the last few years have wear leveling.  You'll be fine with that card and the 4GB NanoBSD image.