Can't Get To Certain Sites
I just inherited a Pentium 4 server and decided to use that as a dedicated pfsense router/firewall. I did a default install. I can get to certain sites fine, like Google. But other sites, like Netflix, I can't get to. I'm not exactly sure what's wrong. Has anyone dealt with something like this before? There's no extra firewall rules in place, just a default install. I'm running pfsense 1.2.3.
Thanks for the link. The only thing it could be on that list of items is the MTU. The WAN gateway is set up properly. Subnet masks are set up properly. I'm not sure about the MTU–I've never had an issue in dealing with MTUs before. I'm using pfSense 1.2.3-RELEASE. I'm not sure about hardware checksums--another thing I've never had issues with.
I'll check out the MTU and the hardware checksums. I'm not sure that either are an issue, but it's possible.
I did a traceroute of google.com, and it went through successfully. I did a traceroute of netflix.com, and it didn't get past the pfSense firewall.
Try dropping your MTU then and see if it fixes the problem. You can drop the MTU down quite low, 1400 (for instance) and then if that solves the problem, you can dial back up slowly until you get a breakage.
If this doesn't solve the problem, other appropriate troubleshooting like ensuring you get a DNS response for the sites in question and getting packet captures of the exact attempt to access the site will be a good way to dial into the problem.
I was completely wrong on the subnet masks. My subnet mask for my WAN interface was incorrect. Thanks for the prompt help and the link. It's working perfectly now.