How to check disks.

• I have a supermicro dual xeon box with an adaptec 2120s raid controller and three 16G scsi disks running in raid 5. I have 1.2.3 release loaded. This system has been working perfectly for the last 3 years and all of the sudden stopped working (would pass traffic on any open port except 80. I think it was a config problem and one of the other people here messed with it but I can't prove that. I reloaded pfs from the CD and restored from a backup config file. I want to test these disks before I redeploy the box. Any idea how I could do that?

Thanks

Bob

• Unless your raid-controller has some builtin support for disk-tests you are at a nogo imo.

Will be no use in doing HDD-tests (for hardware faults) against a LUN since the OS only sees a logical disk.

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

For that vintage of machine you will probably need to boot into the SCSI BIOS, NOT the RAID BIOS.

You may have to pop off the Adaptec add-on card on the MB to get there (My SuperMicro servers from around then had that RAID card on a special slot on the motherboard, looked like a glorified minipci connector), or if the backplane is plugged into a RAID card directly, move the plug to the MB SCSI connector. From the SCSI BIOS, you can run a disk verify test. Alternately, connect the disk up to another box that has the same kind of connector for the disk and doesn't have a RAID controller, and you can probably scan it from the SCSI BIOS there as well.

• Ok thanks.

Bob