Should I wait for 2.0?
andreash last edited by
I'm new to pfSense. We're looking into installing pfSense on our three production firewalls sometime within the next six weeks. Does it make sense to wait for the 2.0 release, or should I go with the available 1.2.x?
Thanks for your ideas!
jlepthien last edited by
2.0 is not ready for use in production environment. If it is a critical system use 1.2.3 and upgrade later if the team is able to get out 2.0 in 2010. I guess it'll take some more time so it will probably be ready in early 2011…
We have quite a few commercial support subscribers using 2.0 in production for installs where this makes more sense: They need a specific feature, hardware support, etc, that is not there in 1.2.x.
If that is the case for you, it may be fine to start with 2.0. If you only need what is currently in 1.2.x, it's fine to start there. You can upgrade to 2.0 later with a simple firmware update.
2.0 is almost to RC stage, just a few more hurdles to get over.