Linux support on pfsense

• I've only compiled kernels before for linux so Im not sure if this is possible.

I was informed yesterday that the pfsense kernel does not contain linux support.  Is there a FreeBSD repository, much like linux.org where I can download the freeBSD kernel, then compile it to contain linux support?

Would compiling a new freeBSD kernel with linux support in theory leave the rest of pfsense's functionality intact?

thanks for the help,
    Zack

• You guys think this would be good guide to following for cutom compiling a kernel on freeBSD?

http://www.freeos.com/articles/3827/

thanks,
    Zack

• anyone?

thanks,
    Zack

• @zboll:

I've only compiled kernels before for linux so Im not sure if this is possible.

I was informed yesterday that the pfsense kernel does not contain linux support.  Is there a FreeBSD repository, much like linux.org where I can download the freeBSD kernel, then compile it to contain linux support?

Would compiling a new freeBSD kernel with linux support in theory leave the rest of pfsense's functionality intact?

thanks for the help,
    Zack

Unlikely, we have custom kernel patches.

–Bill

• @zboll:

anyone?

thanks,
    Zack

Please be more patient.  This is considered inconsiderate.

Most people here are volunteering their time.  For you to "push" on them is not polite.

Thanks.

• sorry, my bad.  Thanks for the input

Zack

/*edit, by the way, I think pfsense is a great product and have been using it for a couple months.  Im just going to give up on the idea of running linux binaries for now and be happy with how it works, I looked into endian firewall and the hardware requirements look too steep
    */

• im pretty poor but I posted small bounty for a tutorial on getting linux binaries to work on pfsense.  I am not sure how hard/easy that would be.

thanks for the help,
    Zack