Pfsense 2.0-BETA4 in Hyper-V: Throughput not as expected

• Hi all,

I currently run 1.2.3 on an old Watchguard X700.  This is a PIII 1.2Ghz with 256Mb RAM.
    I've been wanting to play with 2.0-BETA4 so I built a Hyper-V VM with 512Mb, 2x Gigabit NICs dedicated to WAN and LAN.

Other than the weird issue of having to bring the 2 interfaces down and up with a startup script, it all seems to be running fine…... except the throughput.

I have a 50/1.75Mb cable connection and on the X700 I could easily max my connection.  Now with the VM running (Server is a Quad 2.66Ghz with 8GB RAM and the VHDs on a 4 disk RAID0 of WD Velociraptors) it struggles to hit full speed, and bounces all over the place between 35Mb and about 45Mb.  CPU usage in HyperV never hits more than 5%, in pfsense it never seems to hit 25% (have it allocated a single CPU and ran the uniprocessor hal at install.
    The HyperV server is also hosting 4 other VMs which do not much more than idle 99% of the time!

Is this to be expected?  I assumed that even though it's a VM that with 2x the RAM and 2x the CPU it should run as well as the X700, or is it that 2.0Beta-4 is having a problem?

My connection is upgrading to 50/5Mb shortly and I'm looking at moving to 100/10Mb when it's available which wont be too great on the X700 as it only got Fast Ethernet interfaces so was hoping a VM would be a great solution seeing as I have the HyperV server already, but if it struggles with 50Mb I've got no hope with 100Mb!

Any experience you could share would be helpful.

Pete

• OK - managed to build a second VM with the same virtual hardware and setup 1.2.3, backed up the config from the X700 and restored it to the VM…..throughput is worse than the Beta2.0 VM  :-/

• @PistolPete:

Other than the weird issue of having to bring the 2 interfaces down and up with a startup script, it all seems to be running fine…...

Hey there.. i am having the same problem could you please help me with the script ?
    If i don't bring the interface de1 down and then up it is imposseble to use the wan interface.

• @salida:

@PistolPete:

Other than the weird issue of having to bring the 2 interfaces down and up with a startup script, it all seems to be running fine…...

Hey there.. i am having the same problem could you please help me with the script ?
    If i don't bring the interface de1 down and then up it is imposseble to use the wan interface.

I drop and bring up both de0 and de1 and then run the dhcp client on de0 to get my public IP from my cable modem:

ifconfig de1 down
    ifconfig de0 down
    ifconfig de0 up
    ifconfig de1 up
    dhclient de0

….and I saved this as /usr/local/etc/rc.d/startup.sh