DNS forwarder does not recognize new entries



  • Hi all,
      I'm having a very strange bug with version 1.2.3 embedded.  After adding a completely new A record in our DNSlo servers, pfSense never looks up the record.  Other DNS functions are working, and have worked for months with our load balancer.  Here is our scenario.

    1. Log into godaddy and add a new record, in our case, gotest

    2. perform an lslookup from the DNS server to validate the record exists.

    
    C:\Users\Test Laptop>nslookup gotest.spidertracks.com NS25.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
    Server:  UnKnown
    Address:  216.69.185.13
    
    Name:    gotest.spidertracks.com
    Address:  50.18.60.248
    
    C:\Users\Test Laptop>nslookup gotest.spidertracks.com NS26.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
    Server:  UnKnown
    Address:  208.109.255.13
    
    Name:    gotest.spidertracks.com
    Address:  50.18.60.248
    
    

    Now perform the same lookup on our LAN

    
    C:\Users\Test Laptop>nslookup gotest.spidertracks.com
    Server:  firewall.local
    Address:  10.0.1.1
    
    *** firewall.local can't find gotest.spidertracks.com: Non-existent domain
    
    

    I've restarted dnsmasq around 10 times.  This record has a 1/2 hour ttl, and is 3 days old at this point.  I've even gone so far as to reboot the router, but this doesn't help any.  I'm running version 1.2.3 embedded off a USB dongle.  Any ideas why this is happening?  It's only started in the last week and I'm absolutely stumped.  Both our routes to our DNS servers from our 2 different ISP's are correct.

    Thanks,
    Todd


  • Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

    Without knowing your exact DNS forwarder config (including any host or domain overrides) it's hard to say.

    And really you should try the query specifically against both ISP DNS servers as part of your testing as well. If they don't answer properly, there isn't any way that dnsmasq could know any better.



  • Hi Jimp,
      You were correct.  One of our ISP's was returning no results for every record our pfsense requested.  I switched the DNS server to a different machine and that resolved the issue.


Locked