What is optimal configuration for me?

• 2.0-BETA5 (i386)
    built on Sun Jan 16 22:00:36 EST 2011 (updating every day)
    Router config: 512M DDR1, old Sempron, 80G IDE HDD, 3PCI nics , 1 internal nic
    Additional packages: squid, Unbound

100M=100Mbit
    200M=2x100Mbit

I want to know optimal settings & advanced settings :)

Maybe some tips to achieve more network speed.
    P.S. squidon router is linked to another squid on fast network. Direct connection to other countries is 40Mbit, proxried connection is ~60Mbit(must be 100)…

• You have 100mbit connection to your ISP but you're only using 512MB of memory and an onboard NIC?
    I like your router's name BTW.

• Perhaps the onboard NIC is the issue but there are several tests on the forum here showing that an ALIX NetGate box with a 500GHz processor and 512MB (or is it 256MB?) of RAM can push 80 to 100 Mbps. pfSense isn't too terribly demanding.

• I've upgraded my router with some old parts ^_^
    Now it has Pentium4 CPU & 1GB RAM (motherboard changed to P4P800SE, integrated gigabit used for LAN).
    Good thing is that router now works faster.
    Bad thing - it can't boot pfSense anymore….
    Is there any way to make pfSense boot on this new configuration?

• What's the error you get from pfsense?

• No visible error message.
    Just hangs before kernel(after showing something about F1(no difference wait or press))….
    "" appears and nothing happens....

• Did you install the nano or embedded version?

• Usual version(SMP).

• What he is getting at is that the embedded version stops display output right there and switches to serial.

• You say that SMP version is embedded anyway?
    And keyboard is disabled(no reaction to numlock)?

• @David:

Perhaps the onboard NIC is the issue but there are several tests on the forum here showing that an ALIX NetGate box with a 500GHz processor and 512MB (or is it 256MB?) of RAM can push 80 to 100 Mbps. pfSense isn't too terribly demanding.

500 ghz processors are RAD

• haha, my bad, but yes they would be RAD :-)