Pfsense 2.0 RC1 and Ntop 4.01

• I was pass so many dependent packges required by ntop but last time is still not running. Here is the return message

[2.0-RC1][admin@pfSense.localdomain]/usr/local/lib(29): ntop
    /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /lib/libm.so.5: version GLIBC_2.0 required by /usr/local/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 not found
    [2.0-RC1][admin@pfSense.localdomain]/usr/local/lib(30): find / -name "libm*"
    /lib/libmd.so.5
    /lib/libm.so.5
    /lib/libm.so.6
    ….

So any body success please share experiences...

Thanks.

• try pkg_add -r ntop
    i've had success with this loading needed dependencies for bandwidthD.

@trunglam:

I was pass so many dependent packges required by ntop but last time is still not running. Here is the return message

[2.0-RC1][admin@pfSense.localdomain]/usr/local/lib(29): ntop
    /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /lib/libm.so.5: version GLIBC_2.0 required by /usr/local/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 not found
    [2.0-RC1][admin@pfSense.localdomain]/usr/local/lib(30): find / -name "libm*"
    /lib/libmd.so.5
    /lib/libm.so.5
    /lib/libm.so.6
    ….

So any body success please share experiences...

Thanks.

• Thanks i will try

When install ntop from web interface ntop is version 4.01, but if we use pkg_add -r ntop in CLI interface ntop is version 3.3.10_5 so dependencies is difference and error return also difference.

• @trunglam:

Thanks i will try

When install ntop from web interface ntop is version 4.01, but if we use pkg_add -r ntop in CLI interface ntop is version 3.3.10_5 so dependencies is difference and error return also difference.

Hi

Ive got success installing and configuring ntop 4.01 on pfSense 2.0 Rc1, but I had to make a couple of things to make it work:

first you have to add the following line in te file /root/.tcshrc

setenv PACKAGESITE "ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-8-stable/All/"

I warn you to NOT use PACKAGEROOT because it will install ntop 3, and as far as I been testing, it craches a lot, so once you have changed .tcshrc install ntop using

pkg_add -r ntop-4.0.1_1.tbz

after everything is installed, it can take a while, you have to set by hand Admin password for ntop, so use

ntop -u root -A

It will ask you the admin password, so type it and confirm it, next you have to create a file called ntop.sh in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/, to do so you can use:

ee /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ntop.sh

insert the code

#!/bin/sh
    # This file was automatically generated
    # by the pfSense service handler on other machine :).

rc_start() {
    	/usr/local/bin/ntop -i em0,em1 -u root -d --ipv4 -M -L -x 10456 -X 56258 -W 192.168.56.101:3000 -w 0 &
    }

rc_stop() {
    	/usr/bin/killall ntop
    }

case $1 in
    	start)
    		rc_start
    		;;
    	stop)
    		rc_stop
    		;;
    	restart)
    		rc_stop
    		rc_start
    		;;
    esac

change the line```
    /usr/local/bin/ntop -i em0,em1 -u root -d --ipv4 -M -L -x 10456 -X 56258 -W 192.168.56.101:3000 -w 0 &

I recommend you to read ntop configuration options, hope this helps.

• @oilop9000:

@trunglam:

Thanks i will try

Hi

Ive got success installing and configuring ntop 4.01 on pfSense 2.0 Rc1, but I had to make a couple of things to make it work:

first you have to add the following line in te file /root/.tcshrc

setenv PACKAGESITE "ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-8-stable/All/"

I warn you to NOT use PACKAGEROOT because it will install ntop 3, and as far as I been testing, it craches a lot, so once you have changed .tcshrc install ntop using

pkg_add -r ntop-4.0.1_1.tbz

after everything is installed, it can take a while, you have to set by hand Admin password for ntop, so use

ntop -u root -A

It will ask you the admin password, so type it and confirm it, next you have to create a file called ntop.sh in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/, to do so you can use:

ee /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ntop.sh

insert the code

#!/bin/sh
    # This file was automatically generated
    # by the pfSense service handler on other machine :).

rc_start() {
    }

rc_stop() {
    	/usr/bin/killall ntop
    }

case $1 in
    	start)
    		rc_start
    		;;
    	stop)
    		rc_stop
    		;;
    	restart)
    		rc_stop
    		rc_start
    		;;
    esac

change the line```

I recommend you to read ntop configuration options, hope this helps.

i follow this step
    but my pfsense after reboot is die ><

i run ntop -u root -A but not this commend
    please help me
    thanks

• I tried this and cannot download it.

Error: Unable to get http://ftp://ftp://ftp.freebsd.org…...

I cut and pasted from the instructions above.

• Hi,

Tryed :
    setenv PACKAGESITE "http://ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8-stable/All/"

i got:
    $ pkg_add -r ntop-4.0.1_1.tbz
    Error: Unable to get ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.1-release/Latest/ntop-4.0.1_1.tbz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)

but i'm able to reach it on my pc.

Something to do with this?

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

Try to install/reinstall ntop now, I made a bunch of fixes to it over the past few days.

• jimp,

install went well but ntop wouldn't start. I noticed it didn't create the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ntop.sh file for startup. So I went ahead and created one based on oilop9000 post and that worked for me. I made some changes so it would capture my interfaces and changed it to http instead of ssl since the pfsense menu link uses http. Also I added a sleep 10 to the ntop.sh file so it would delay alittle on startup. If its not delay, I get a core dump right away.. its been stable for an hour so far.

Thanks!

It will make the .sh if you save the settings under Diagnostics > ntop Settings

• @jimp:

It will make the .sh if you save the settings under Diagnostics > ntop Settings

its funny i tried that before posting. Tried it again and its creating the file for me now… As always, thank you!!

If you had proper settings in there previously it should have made the .sh on install as well, I set it to sync the settings (which writes the rc file) on install now too.

• I wiped my settings out when I couldn't get ntop to work a couple of months ago… I have a habit of deleting all settings for a package in the config.xml if I don't plan on using it(well other then snort, waiting on update, too many settings to re-create,lol)