Xbox live not working after upgrade



  • Hello

    i have been using PfSense before and i got xbox live to work perfect before but after upgrade 2.0 it all stopped working, first when i start my xbox it says it can't connect to xbox live if i do a test connection on the xbox the internet works again how come it acts like this?

    The outbound rules is set to

          • 172.16.0.0/24 static port

    without this rule it won't work at all but i belive it has something todo with the static port related stuff that the firewall is keeping the connectiong after i power off my xbox and next time it won't log me in becuse firewall still thinks it is online or something…

    i have forward porrt 88 and 3074.

    Please let me know if there is any additional information you need just hit me up :)



  • Your NAT Outbound rule should look like this

    WAN    172.16.0.0/24    *    *    *    *    *    YES

    Seems you have it reversed.



  • I don't really think you need any kind of rules for Xbox Live as long as you have UPNP enabled. It works fine here with no rules, no forwarded ports and just UPNP.



  • @geeknik:

    I don't really think you need any kind of rules for Xbox Live as long as you have UPNP enabled. It works fine here with no rules, no forwarded ports and just UPNP.

    I dont have any AON/NAT Rules either. Just uPNP turned on. I believe if you have more then 1 xbox, then you have to create a AON rule



  • Static Ports not required in all circumstances but certainly recommended for compatibility with Gaming.  I dont Static Port my entire LAN but do Static Port my Gaming Console IPs.

    WAN    172.16.1.8/32    *    *    *    *    *    YES    XBox_AON
    WAN    172.16.1.9/32    *    *    *    *    *    YES    XBox2_AON
    WAN    172.16.1.0/24    *    *    *    *    *    NO      LAN_AON

    The Outbound NAT rules work like the firewall rules, working from top to bottom stopping at the first matching rule so order placement is critical.



  • I've been using pfSense in environments with between two and four Xbox 360s since '06 and have never needed anything more than enabling UPnP to make the Xbox completely happy with the NAT.



  • after hours of hours of trying to fix the nat with the xbox i never solved the problem so what i did was i changed the Xbox to use DHCP and not static ip and enabled UPNP since UPNP does not work with static ip don't know exactly why anyway so now it works the way i do not want it to work but it works :)

    Thanks for all suggestions unfortantly none of them did work except for the UPNP part but i had to use DHCP for my xbox to have it to work :)


Locked