Accessing my modems web interface.

• I have searched the forums and have setup just the way this doc says. http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Accessing_modem_from_inside_firewall

how I have it setup so far..

WAN interface PPPOE (em1) - Public IP

LAN interface em0 - 192.168.0.1

MODEM interface em1 - 192.168.1.253 - No Gateway set

My modems IP is 192.168.1.254

Outbound NAT config: Inferface - MODEM
    Source 192.168.0.0/24
    Source Port: *
    Dest: 192.168.1.0/24
    Dest Port: *
    NAT Adddress: *
    NAT port: *
    Static Port: NO

Cant ping 192.168.1.254, can ping the modem interface though.

Im running 2.0 RC. Is there something I'm missing?

• On your modem interface do you have Block Private Networks enabled? (See Interfaces -> em1, scroll down to Private Networks section) If so, ping replies from your modem will get blocked.

• No, both are unblocked.

• Your modem doesn't have a route back to your LAN, so you need to NAT. Easiest way to do that, if you're using automatic outbound NAT, is just to specify a gateway IP on your modem interface (it can be anything, doesn't matter) so it treats it like an Internet connection.

@wallabybob:

On your modem interface do you have Block Private Networks enabled? (See Interfaces -> em1, scroll down to Private Networks section) If so, ping replies from your modem will get blocked.

No they won't, only applies to traffic initiated on that interface.

• Yes, I'm running auto outbound NAT.

I tried creating a gateway in the 192.168.1.0 range but it would only let me set 192.168.1.253 (the Modem interface IP)

After I did that I ran trace route to 192.168.1.254 and it went through the WAN gateway. (10.20.21.36)

Also its coming up as 192-168-1-253.tpgi.com.au which is my ISP's reverse dns address. I don't really understand why it would do that.

• Netgate Administrator

Sounds like you might have the subnet on your 'modem interface em1' set incorrectly. By default it comes up as /32 and it needs to be /24.
    You should be able to set a gateway as any address in the same subnet but if you have a /32 subnet there is only one IP available.
    Easily overlooked, I did!  ::)

Steve

• Thank you all, working straight away after putting the modem interface to /24