PfSense 2.0 multiwan issues **Resolved**



  • At my home I have 3 computers, my Desktop, Server, and pfSense box. The pfSense box has 4 nics, 3 for wans (cable modems) and one for lan.

    The end result I am trying to achieve is….

    Desktop - Load balanced connection from wan1 & wan2
    Server   - internet access only to wan3 and internal access to the desktop
    pfSense - to do its job lol

    as for the cable modems I have routers on wan2 and wan3 and wan1 is just straight to the nic

    Wan1 is cable modems ip address
    Wan2 is 192.168.3.1
    Wan3 is 192.168.5.1

    I gave each of them different monitoring addresses such as googles dns 8.8.8.8 and 2 other dns servers

    I made 2 groups. I made a load balanced group with Wan1 and Wan2 and a Server group with just Wan3 (i was thinking of adding a 4th wan to balance the server but have not yet hence that server grp)

    I edited the default lan rule to point to the load balanced gateway
    I also made a rule above the default to push connections from my server to wan3
    I then made a last rule under wan3 to push all incoming connections i wanted to the server

    The server works fine, no issues there. My problem is that the load balanced group only lasts for minutes or so before it shows one of the wans as offline in the status-gateways section. No matter what I try, I cant seem to get load balancing to work correctly. The server portion works great, no issues there. This is just related to the load balancing. It will work from time to time then one always goes down.

    Thanks in advance for any and all help!

    I would really appreciate any help for me to get this setup working. I am pulling my hair out.



  • when it shows it as offline then you should try picking a different monitor ip or adjust the latency/packetloss variables


  • Netgate Administrator

    What do the logs show?
    Which alarms are being triggered?



  • Jun 19 17:07:55 check_reload_status: Reloading filter
    Jun 19 17:07:57 apinger: ALARM: GW_OPT1(8.8.4.4) *** delay ***
    Jun 19 17:07:57 kernel: rl0: watchdog timeout
    Jun 19 17:08:03 kernel: rl0: watchdog timeout
    Jun 19 17:08:07 check_reload_status: Reloading filter
    Jun 19 17:08:09 kernel: rl0: watchdog timeout
    Jun 19 17:08:13 apinger: ALARM: GW_OPT1(8.8.4.4) *** down ***
    Jun 19 17:08:15 kernel: rl0: watchdog timeout
    Jun 19 17:08:21 apinger: alarm canceled: GW_OPT1(8.8.4.4) *** down ***
    Jun 19 17:08:21 kernel: rl0: watchdog timeout
    Jun 19 17:08:23 check_reload_status: Reloading filter

    happens when I start to do something intensive like usenet or speed testing.

    I'm about to lose my mind. If I can't get this figured out soon I guess I'll have to break down and get a multiwan router so it will work correctly for longer then a few minutes. sigh



  • Alright, so after a ton of digging I came across a site with someone having the same issue as me. It turned out to be a acpi issue. So I followed in his footsteps and disabled acpi in the bios and booted pfsense with the disable acpi flag. This seems to have done the trick for me. I no longer lose one of my wans now. It appears to have completely corrected my issues. I could not be happier right now!!!

    I can't tell you how many nics I swapped in out, cheapo routers I swapped, etc.

    I hope this may help others who were in my boat. Time to get this beast back together, and back in the rack.

    Thank you to the people who responded to my plea!


Locked