RC3 Problem with FQDN Aliases [SOLVED]



  • Hi,

    Upgraded from RC1 to RC3 today yesterday. (from pfSense-2.0-RC1-4g-i386-20110226-1633-nanobsd-upgrade.img)

    Today I upgraded from RC3 (pfSense-2.0-RC3-4g-i386-20110620-1408-nanobsd-upgrade.img) to the official RC3. Both RC3 versions have the following issue:

    I have a couple of Aliases that is based on hosts in form of FQDN's. This doesn't seem to work as expected now.

    "The Diagnostics: Tables" shows empty tables for some of the aliases.

    Some tables show only one entry but the alias contains several FQDN's and should show the corresponding number of IP-addresses.

    All the FQDN's is resolved without problems by hosts on my network and also by pfSense own "Diagnostics: DNS Lookup" page.

    One odd thing, I have one alias with 13 entries: 8 of them is IP/Networks and 5 is FQDN's and this table does NOT have the above problems. "The Diagnostics: Tables" shows 13 entries as expected.

    Any ideas what to look for?

    2.0-RC3 (i386)
    built on Tue Jun 21 18:21:10 EDT 2011

    edit#1: clarifications about the upgrade path.
    edit#2: [SOLVED]



  • Hmm you might be right about this.
    The fix i put for http://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/1341 might be causing other issues as well.

    I just put a fix on this, please test with latest snapshots.



  • Hmm, I have three aliases with a single FQDN. They work intermittent, if I touch some other setting (eg. toggle dnsallowoverride or dhcp release/renew on WAN) they sometimes create the table.

    It is not reproduce able every time, I have not found the culprit to get all those aliases to resolve and create their corresponding tables.

    One alias has five domains to resolve and only do so partially. This evening I've seen 1,2 and 4 entries in that table. Never all five (all domains do answer with an A record).

    If I touch the above alias and change the description for one entry, all the other problematic aliases get flushed.

    It doesn't seem to automatically do any new resolving at all (the tables is left empty). I have to start again with the dnsallowoverride or dhcp release/renew on WAN.

    And then there is this alias (13 entries) with mixed IP/Networks/FQDN's that is always correct in the table… it is not affected at all.

    I will update to the latest snapshot (probably tomorrow).



  • Yes, the problem went away with a newer snapshot. (pfSense-2.0-RC3-4g-i386-20110623-1345-nanobsd-upgrade.img.gz)

    [SOLVED] - Thank you!


Locked