Total melt down!!
I have had enough. I found out that I could install to my hard drive by installing it in a usb case. I read the article and it seemed like it should work. I fired up my laptop and connected USB drive and stuck the cd in. I select the external usb drive. Well that is where everything went wrong. I felt a shock from the laptop and both the hard where formatted.
Both disk are completely fried. Just be careful when trying to do a install.
It's hard to say how that could have happened. I can only put it down to some bad hardware.
My laptop is shocking the mess out of me while using it for 2 to 6 hours while working from home. I have a bad back and have arrangements with work.
Doesn't sound like something FreeBSD could have caused. Sounds like bad timing of dying hardware or a power spike to be honest. :P
Sucks nevertheless. Sorry to hear :-X
Sounds like a faulty ground or perhaps you have a short or a miswired electrical outlet that's giving you a hot ground.