Dynamic DNS, zoneedit not working

• So my zoneedit account is still a legacy one.
    Anyway, it's not updating in pfsense.

I even put in a wrong password for my account in pfsense to test, and it still shows up as green but doesn't change my ip even with the correct password.

• @jigglywiggly:

So my zoneedit account is still a legacy one.
    Anyway, it's not updating in pfsense.

I even put in a wrong password for my account in pfsense to test, and it still shows up as green but doesn't change my ip even with the correct password.

I am also using a Zoneedit Legacy… it always works fine here...

Pfsense Version:
    2.0-RC3 (i386)
    built on Fri Jun 24 17:07:23 EDT 2011

• Hmm, I'm on RC2, I guess I'll try updating.

• Does the pfSense interface you are monitoring for dynamic DNS have a public IP address?

• Yes, the cached ip is the correct ip address and it's green, but it won't communciate with zoneedit or something.

• @jigglywiggly:

Yes, the cached ip is the correct ip address

Please answer the question I asked. The IP address makes a difference to the behaviour of the dynamic DNS update.

@jigglywiggly:

but it won't communciate with zoneedit or something.

What are you expecting to happen that isn't happening? I'm trying to help but I don't have enough information to work with.

• The IP shown is my wan ip from comcast.
    76.102.xxx.xxx

• @jigglywiggly:

The IP shown is my wan ip from comcast.
    76.102.xxx.xxx

Then pfSense should initiate a dynamic DNS update when your WAN address changes.

Here is an example of dynamic DNS update reports from my system log (displayed from SSH session into my pfSense box):

# clog /var/log/system.log | grep -i DynDNS
    Jul  1 00:12:19 pfsense php: : DynDns: updatedns() starting
    Jul  1 00:12:19 pfsense php: : DynDns debug information: 203.144.23.xxx extracted from local system.
    Jul  1 00:12:19 pfsense php: : DynDns: Current WAN IP: 203.144.23.xxx Cached IP: 203.144.19.127 
    Jul  1 00:12:19 pfsense php: : DynDns debug information: DynDns: cacheIP != wan_ip.  Updating. Cached IP: 203.144.19.127 WAN IP: 203.144.23.xxx 
    Jul  1 00:12:19 pfsense php: : DynDns: DynDns _update() starting.
    Jul  1 00:12:24 pfsense php: : DynDns: DynDns _checkStatus() starting.
    Jul  1 00:12:24 pfsense php: : DynDns: Current Service: dnsomatic
    Jul  1 00:12:24 pfsense php: : DynDns debug information: 203.144.23.xxx extracted from local system.
    Jul  1 00:12:24 pfsense php: : phpDynDNS: updating cache file /conf/dyndns_wandnsomatic'all.dnsomatic.com'.cache: 203.144.23.xxx
    Jul  1 01:01:01 pfsense php: : DynDns: updatedns() starting
    Jul  1 01:01:01 pfsense php: : DynDns debug information: 203.144.23.xxx extracted from local system.
    Jul  1 01:01:01 pfsense php: : DynDns: Current WAN IP: 203.144.23.xxx Cached IP: 203.144.23.xxx 
    Jul  1 01:01:01 pfsense php: : phpDynDNS: No change in my IP address and/or 25 days has not passed. Not updating dynamic DNS entry.

What are you expecting to happen that isn't happening?

• Oh, I see, I guess it does work I checked my system logs, it is basically the exact same as yours. However, thing is when I manually changed it on zoneedit to check if it would change, and left pfsense alone, it never changed it back.
    I now realize is because pfsense doesn't even bother to check because my ip has not changed, kinda dumb.

Thanks for helping me find out the root of the problem.

• Not really dumb; usually dynamic DNS services have a rate limit that prevent you from changing IPs too often (most APIs have a rate limit for public services to prevent abuse), and pfSense likely uses a hook on the IP-change routines and not a cronjob in the background to update the dynamic DNS registration. Since the IP shouldn't change, updating a dynamic DNS host with a value that hasn't changed would just be a waste of bandwidth and likely frowned upon by the DDNS services for that reason.