Php dump core during bootup after upgrade from 1.2.3 to 2.0-RC3
awebster last edited by
I upgraded a Soekris Net5501 (500MHz AMD Geode 512MB RAM, 4GB CF) from 1.2.3 to 2.0-RC3.
After the upgrade, I was unable to log into the web console, and it no longer passed traffic. Looking at the bootup dialog through the serial port, I can see that php dumps core during bootup.
The strange thing is that when exporting the configuration, changing the interface names, and importing it into 2.0-RC3 running on a P-III/733/512MB RAM, 120GB disk from the install ISO, it works fine.
I've narrowed it down to something in the filter_nat_rules_generate of /etc/inc/filter.inc that is bombing on the imported config.
If I factory default the box, no errors occur on bootup.
The 2.0-RC3 running on the P-III box is perfectly happy, and if I export its config, change the i/f names back to their appropriate names for the Soekris platform, I get the core dump once again.
I was wondering is there a way to see where inside the bootup code things are going bad? I noticed that the update_filter_reload_status function is called frequently, and wondering if that is getting logged anywhere to figure out what the exact cause of the problem is.
Welcome to pfSense 2.0-RC3 …
External config loader 1.0 is now starting... ad0s3
Launching the init system... done.
Starting device manager (devd)...done.
Cleaning backup cache........done.
Setting up extended sysctls...done.
Starting Secure Shell Services...done.
Setting up polling defaults...done.
Setting up interfaces microcode...done.
vr0: link state changed to DOWN
Configuring LAGG interfaces...done.
Configuringvlan0: changing name to 'vr0_vlan2'
VLAN interfaces...vlan1: changing name to 'vr0_vlan3'
Configuring QinQ interfaces...done.
Configuring LAN interface...done.
Configuring WAN interface...starting pppoe0 link...vr1: link state changed to DN
Configuring GUEST interface...done.
Configuring WAN2ng0: changing name to 'pppoe0'
interface...vr2: link state changed to DOWN
Configuring VOICE interface...done.
Syncing OpenVPN settings...tun1: changing name to 'ovpns1'
Starting syslog...ovpns1: link state changed to UP
Configuring firewall..Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Starting CRON... done.
cmb last edited by
My guess is you have the remnants of some package in /usr/local/pkg/ maybe from a package that doesn't uninstall itself correctly/entirely, especially if you've narrowed it down to filter_nat_rules_generate. See what files you have in that directory and delete any associated with a package you don't currently have installed (or for that matter any of them aside from the ones that come with the base system, which are carp*, miniupnpd*, olsrd*, openntpd*, routed*)
awebster last edited by
Thanks for the suggestion, however that didn't fix the issue, as there were no packages installed on 1.2.3.
I'm suspecting some sort of loop that is eating up all the RAM in the box, causing the segmentation fault, as there is a fairly long delay between the Configuring firewall and Segmentation fault message.
The last message in /var/run/filter_reload_status is: Creating outbound NAT rules.
Contents of /usr/local/pkg
-rw-r–r-- 1 root wheel 11603 Jul 1 20:17 carp_settings.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 8038 Jul 1 20:17 miniupnpd.inc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 5095 Jul 1 20:17 miniupnpd.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 4683 Jul 1 20:17 olsrd.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 1318 Jul 1 20:17 openntpd.inc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 853 Jul 1 20:17 openntpd.xml
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 512 Jul 6 09:32 pf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 3213 Jul 1 20:17 routed.inc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 4193 Jul 1 20:17 routed.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 2379 Jul 1 20:17 sasyncd.xml
the.it.dude last edited by
I have another thread about the same core dump at loading firewall config when I upgraded from rc2 to rc3 on my Dell 1850 server. I ended up using the console to reset to defaults and manually recreating my config. I sent the config to jimp to look at…