Configuration Problems: pfSense 2.0
I'm sort of new to this. I successfully installed and configured pfSense 1.2.3 for simple DHCP and NAT in a VMware ESXi 4.x host. It has been working for a few days very well.
I saw pfSense 2.0 was out so decided to try it before I go too far with the one I have. I cannot get it work successfully and after two days of researching and testing, trying, I'm baffled and need help, obviously.
pfSense 2.0 installed in a VM on ESXi 4.x in FreeBSD x64.
Configured WAN IP, DNS, and gateway and was unable to access at all. Restarted multiple times to be sure.
I added a network interface and set it up as LAN, 192.168.1.25 (off of another DHCP) and I am able to access the webConfigurator via this IP.
I'm not sure what info to include but here is the setup as of now.
public IP is set: ISP provided static IP (I have a /27)
DNS is set: Provided by ISP
Gateway is set: Provided by ISP
Other IPs in my /27 are in use and working fine.
I cannot reach the web interface at all via the public IP.
I CAN ping out to anywhere and resolve DNS from a shell in the pfSense VM.
There is presently no firewall on this public IP.
I am able to access the web interface from another system on the 192.168.1.x subnet.
I have checked all settings and it seems that all is set properly.
I would appreciate any help, hints, direction, whatever.
wallabybob last edited by
Have you setup the network plumbing correctly (the interactions between the network interfaces in the pfSense VM and the real hardware in the box)?
I have the public IP on the vswitch, which connects to a physical NIC. Numerous other IPs are also on this and they work.
If I do a traceroute out from the shell, it goes directly to the gateway for my IP block and out, so I'm assuming that at least the outbound connections are correct.
podilarius last edited by
I think what wallabybob is asking is did you setup the vSwitch correctly for pfSense (i.e. set "promiscuous mode" to accept).
I will check that and see.
For now, I realized that pfSense has an awesome ability to upgrade built in, so I backed up my working install of the v1.2.3 and then upgraded it to 2.0. This was flawlessly done, and now I have a working version 2.0. Happiness and relief!
I would like to understand why my other attempt did not work, so I will look into it and compare settings with this now working version to see what the problem was.
Thanks all for the input. I'm looking forward to using pfSense a lot more.