Latest versions of Pfsense and varnish: varnish fails to install/start



  • I am running 2.0R AMD64 on ESXi

    when i try to install varnish – the install hangs at ...


    Removing Varnish components...
    Tabs items... done.
    Menu items... done.
    Services... done.
    Loading package instructions...
    Removing package instructions...done.
    Auxiliary files... done.
    Package XML... done.
    Configuration... done.
    Beginning package installation for Varnish...
    Downloading package configuration file... done.
    Saving updated package information... done.
    Downloading Varnish and its dependencies...
    Checking for package installation... Loading package configuration... done.
    Configuring package components...
    Additional files... done.
    Loading package instructions...
    Custom commands...
    Executing custom_php_install_command()...done.
    Executing custom_php_resync_config_command()...

    I lose access to the web interface and have to issue a reboot via SSH, when the system tries to boot up, the boot process seems to hang at "Starting Varnish..."

    I can 50/50% time access the web interface when its in this state and 100% of the time access pfsense via SSH.

    I see this in the system logs...

    Oct  9 11:35:37 pfsense02.lipsum.net Oct  9 11:34:54 php: : Beginning Varnish XMLRPC sync to http://192.168.1.10:80.

    Oct  9 11:35:37 pfsense02.lipsum.net Oct  9 11:34:54 php: : [varnish] varnish_xmlrpc_sync.php is starting.

    Oct  9 11:34:51 pfsense02.lipsum.net Oct  9 11:34:09 php: : varnish XMLRPC reload data http://192.168.1.10:80.

    Oct  9 11:34:51 pfsense02.lipsum.net Oct  9 11:34:09 php: : New alert found: A communications error occurred while attempting varnish XMLRPC sync with http://192.168.1.10:80.

    Oct  9 11:34:51 pfsense02.lipsum.net Oct  9 11:34:09 php: : A communications error occurred while attempting varnish XMLRPC sync with http://192.168.1.10:80.

    Oct  9 11:34:46 pfsense02.lipsum.net Oct  9 11:34:04 php: /xmlrpc.php: varnish XMLRPC reload data http://192.168.1.10:80.

    Oct  9 11:34:46 pfsense02.lipsum.net Oct  9 11:34:04 php: /xmlrpc.php: New alert found: A communications error occurred while attempting varnish XMLRPC sync with http://192.168.1.10:80.

    Oct  9 11:34:46 pfsense02.lipsum.net Oct  9 11:34:04 php: /xmlrpc.php: A communications error occurred while attempting varnish XMLRPC sync with http://192.168.1.10:80.

    Oct  9 11:34:46 pfsense02.lipsum.net Oct  9 11:34:04 php: : [varnish] varnish_xmlrpc_sync.php is ending.

    Oct  9 11:34:46 pfsense02.lipsum.net Oct  9 11:34:04 php: : New alert found: A communications error occurred while attempting varnish XMLRPC sync with http://192.168.1.10:80 (pfsense.exec_php).
    –-----------------------------------------

    192.168.1.10 is the LAN interface of the pfsense02 box itself.

    Does anyone know whats going on?



  • Before listening varnish on port 80, you must change pfsense gui to https and disable redirect rule on advanced settings.

    Some package startups erros stops boot up scripts. So ssh, routes and/or rules may not load until you correct this.

    It also seems that you have a XML config sync enabled from an old install. If you can't install it to Fix config, you may need to edit your XML config file to remove this sync config.



  • Thanks for the reply, I guessing that would have fixed it since it was bound to port 80 - and that old install XML entry i'm sure was fubar'ing things up…

    I got so fed up in the end that i just rebuilt the entire instance, everything went in smooth ...

    Thanks for the help for future reference.


Locked