Possible bug in "Package Reinstall" function when restoring config from scratch.



  • I made a big misstake when doing some configuration causing loop-lockup and was
    forced to revert to an old "auto-saved" config from before I started the configuration
    changes.  (from /conf/backup/ folder)

    I have a console attached to serial of my router and I could see a very strange
    behaviour when it came to the package reinstall function that doesn't look right.
    It goes on forever and it constantly repeats the same output.

    example:

    
    Backing up libraries... 
    Removing package...
    Removing mailreport components...
    Menu items... done.
    Deinstall commands... done.
    Auxiliary files... done.
    Package XML... done.
    Configuration... Backing up libraries... 
    Removing package...
    Removing mailreport components...
    Menu items... done.
    Deinstall commands... done.
    Auxiliary files... done.
    Package XML... done.
    Configuration... done.
    Backing up libraries... 
    Removing package...
    Removing mailreport components...
    Menu items... done.
    Deinstall commands... done.
    Auxiliary files... done.
    Package XML... done.
    Configuration... done.
    Cleaning up... 
    Backing up libraries... 
    Removing package...
    Removing mailreport components...
    Menu items... done.
    Deinstall commands... done.
    Auxiliary files... done.
    Package XML... done.
    Configuration... done.
    Cleaning up... Beginning package installation for mailreport...
    Backing up libraries... 
    Removing package...
    Removing mailreport components...
    Menu items... done.
    Deinstall commands... done.
    Auxiliary files... done.
    Package XML... done.
    Configuration... done.
    Cleaning up... Beginning package installation for mailreport...
    Downloading package configuration file... Backing up libraries... 
    Removing package...
    Removing mailreport components...
    Menu items... done.
    Deinstall commands... done.
    Auxiliary files... done.
    Package XML... done.
    Configuration... done.
    
    

    And so on, and so on.

    I will attach a trunkated log (to fit board size requirement) for you to review. (putty-20111114_231436.txt)
    I also have the exact configuration-file used plus the full log. PM me if you need it.

    I had to manually stop it after it had continued like that for 10-15 min and no stop in sight.

    This system is quite newly installed (2.0 final) and no upgrade has been done and only
    done the configuration once and installed some packages.

    I am running on the official 2.0 release.
    Running on Shuttle XG41, 4GB Kingston SDRAM, Intel Core2Quad Q8400, WD 160GB HD.

    One note is that I most likely have seen this on other platform (running in VMWare) as well,
    where I was stuck on the pfsense web-screen where it says "Reinstalling packages" forever.
    (and was using a completly different config than from this.  Not reused config to this system)
    Did not have any console then so I could not check the output there.

    Due to this problem, I will most likely need to skip using packages until it is resolved
    as I need to rely on a solid restore function.  And if i'm relying on/using packages, these needs
    to be reinstalled rock solid as well else I could not use them.

    Or at least I could only use packages with little or no configuration so it is easy to reinstall manually
    if a restore is needed.

    Best regards
    Dan Lundqvist
    Stockholm, Sweden
    putty-20111114_231436.txt


Locked