Can run Live, but not installed pfSense

• I have been running 1.0.1 on a WRAP since it was released (and the betas before that).  There are some packages I wanted to use so I tested the LiveCD build of 1.0.1 on a friends P25G Celeron box:

(http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?DetailID=371&MenuID=22&LanID=0)

It ran well so I purchased a board, CPU (Celeron 2Ghz), memory, etc. and a very compact fanless case.

The LiveCD runs perfectly using the OB NIC and a 3Com CorKscrew.  However when I install pfSense to the HD I get a (very quickly repeating) reg dump immediately after getting the boot option BSD screen.  I thought that there might be a problem with the box but after 48hrs of burn-in testing I installed Edgy Eft and ran that for a while.  No problems.  I then installed IPCop and it has been running fine for days.  I tried to install pfSense to a different HD and still I get the same results.  I do like pfSense over IPCop, but does anyone know why the pfSense kernel is having such a problem with this setup when installed from the HD but not when booted live?

Thanks
    Jon

• Yep, ran through everything suggested - except for the fact that I can't actually manipulate the kernel load menu.  I get the F1 boot menu and then it goes to the kernel options menu.  I see that menu for a fraction of a second (the menu that allows you to boot with/without ACPI, etc) but then before I can actually hit space to pause or a numeric option I get a repeated register dump screen that scrolls at lightning speed.  I tried to find any comments on the web about OpenBSD and the hardware on the MoBo but so far I have not found any other reports of issues.

Thanks for the reply.

Jon

@hoba:

Did you already try suggestions from
    http://wiki.pfsense.com/wikka.php?wakka=BootOptions
    http://wiki.pfsense.com/wikka.php?wakka=BootTroubleShooting
    ?

• pfSense is FreeBSD not OpenBSD.

• My bad, since I was hunting I looked for Free and Open BSD - specifically 6.1.  I guess I'll just have to build myself a different box for pfSense.  The more time I spend with IPCop the less I like it.

Has anyone used/tested the Jetway HYBRID-C7-1.5G (VIA C7 based http://www.mini-box.com/Hybrid-C7-1-5G?sc=8&category=99) with pfSense?

Mini-box has a 40gb 256MB system with 3 GB LAN ports in a nice small package for $360US.

Jon

@sullrich:

pfSense is FreeBSD not OpenBSD.

• The jetway should be okay.  Have you tested a recent snapshot on your current hardware?  It is based on 6.2.

• Nope, but it sounds like a good idea.  I'll let you know what happens.

Jon

@sullrich:

The jetway should be okay.  Have you tested a recent snapshot on your current hardware?  It is based on 6.2.

• Tried the latest snapshot that I could find (3/27/07), still dies.  I did manage to get a glimpse of the error by putting the machine into suspend (the halt repeats a few hundred times per second scrolling the info so fast it is just a blur).  It is a "BTX Faulted" message with register dump.

I'm willing to change motherboards if someone knows for sure that a particular socket 478 uATX board works with pfSense.

Thanks
    Jon

@Oman:

Nope, but it sounds like a good idea.  I'll let you know what happens.

Jon

@sullrich:

The jetway should be okay.  Have you tested a recent snapshot on your current hardware?  It is based on 6.2.

• FWIW, I've run with no problems on Tyan 2098 and 3098 flex ATX (smaller than micro atx, same mounting) 478 boards. 3098's have dual Intel GB nics, 2098's had dual 10/100 intel nics. I think they are discontinued, but newegg still has some open box available (Item#:N82E16813151160R) From what I've seen, nobody is making decent 478 boards anymore.

• Thanks for the suggestion.  I don't usually mind open box but so much open box stuff from NewEgg comes stripped of parts.  If I don't get the backplate for the MB then it won't work since it is different on the board than most of the others.

I did some more work to track down the problem.  It seems to be a known issue with the BIOS and the IDE controller in the chipset when used with the FreeBSD bootloader.  There is no update for this particular MB.

I did find out that the SATA interface doesn't have the same problem, so I just picked up a small SATA drive.  It does boot but since the SATA interface comes up as ad4 it won't auto mount root when it boots.  I have to give it "ufs:ad4s1a" to complete bootup.

This is a problem if the firewall bounces because of course I can't be in front of it every time.  FreeBSD isn't my usual working O/S - can't anyone tell me how I might be able to get it to mount ad4 by itself?

Thanks
    Jon

@dotdash:

FWIW, I've run with no problems on Tyan 2098 and 3098 flex ATX (smaller than micro atx, same mounting) 478 boards. 3098's have dual Intel GB nics, 2098's had dual 10/100 intel nics. I think they are discontinued, but newegg still has some open box available (Item#:N82E16813151160R) From what I've seen, nobody is making decent 478 boards anymore.