Not sure what I'm doing wrong here!
Hey guys, I'll try and keep this fairly short. I feel like I've tried everything.
Basically, I have two cable modems (two separate cable connections from same ISP) connected to a pfsense 2.0 box. I have a router between one of the cable modems to change the gateway IP. I have set up the group under routing to allow load balancing using Tier 1 for both (as per various guides I've read on setting this up).
I then created a new firewall rule under LAN to allow the load balancing, action is set to Pass, protocol set to any, source = lan subnet, destination = any, and under advanced > gateway I have selected the loadbalance group I created under system > routing.
The problem is there is no load balancing going on whatsoever. I have monitored the traffic graphs and while there's small readings from the second WAN, it's 1-2kb at most. I am able to send all traffic through both WANs one at a time only by setting one or the other as the default gateway under system > routing.
Anyone have any ideas? I feel like everything is set up properly, both WANs are up and active, I can ping everything no problem, but for whatever reason, I can't send traffic through both at the same time, however as mentioned earlier they each work individually if I change the default gateway on WAN1 or WAN2.
Any suggestions would be great..I have spent many days trying to figure this out.. ???
ericab last edited by
what type of traffic are we talking about here ? bittorrent ? usenet ?
consider disabling sticky connections.
thanks for the reply. it's all types of traffic, regular surfing, torrent, upload etc. not familiar with sticky connections but I will look into that.
I ensured sticky connections were turned off, still having the same issue.
The wierdest part (to me) is that both connections work fine, if I set WAN1 to default gateway, I browse no problem, and all traffic goes though WAN1. And vice versa, when I set WAN2 as default gateway, all traffic goes through WAN2 with no problem at all. So individually there doesn't seem to be a problem…
Just as an update (for anyone that cares :)) I managed to get this working. For some reason when I changed the tier from 1 to 2, rebooted PFsense, it was working perfectly, testing a few torrents right now the and bandwidth is split right in half between both WANs :)
Persistance pays off I guess! Just when I was ready to throw in the towel.