• Seeing this error: dhclient:FAIL in the log files of both our pfSense boxes (running CARP). It is logged 6 times in a row and then nothing for a minutes or so, then again 6 times and so on…
    None of the interfaces (WAN, LAN or PFSYNC) is running DHCP, and there is another DHCP server on the internal network providing addresses. The 2 pfSense's are used as core router/NAT router and firewall, as well as running a bunch of ipsec tunnels...

When I look in Status\Services it doesn't show dhclient as running (nor listed there at all) so I'm a bit confused as why this error is popping up. pfSense version is 2.0-RELEASE (AMD64).

Any suggestions?

Regards,
    Anders

• @Sup3rior:

None of the interfaces (WAN, LAN or PFSYNC) is running DHCP,

That would be DHCP server.

@Sup3rior:

Seeing this error: dhclient:FAIL in the log files of both our pfSense boxes

That suggests you have (or had) at least one interface that requested configuration information (including IP address) from a DHCP server.

@Sup3rior:

When I look in Status\Services it doesn't show dhclient as running (nor listed there at all)

Services are offered by servers. dhclient is not considered a service (it issues requests to a server) so it won't be listed as a service.

@Sup3rior:

Any suggestions?

Post the output of pfSense shell command ps ax | grep dhclient (since dhclient apparently exits and restarts about a minute later you might have to repeat this command a number of times to see anything other than the grep process). This should identify the interface(s) on which dhclient is running.

• Hi,

the output of ps ax command is the following:

9266  ??  INs    0:54.56 dhclient: bge0 [priv] (dhclient)
    37162  ??  SNs    4:30.68 dhclient: bge0 (dhclient)
    37507  0  S+    0:00.00 grep dhclient

Which I assume tells me that it's the interface named BGE0 that is running the dhclient. The odd thing is that this interface has never had a DHCP address nor is a DHCP server available on that interface.

Regards,
    Anders

• @Sup3rior:

Which I assume tells me that it's the interface named BGE0 that is running the dhclient.

dhclient is running to issue DHCP requests on interface bge0.

@Sup3rior:

The odd thing is that this interface has never had a DHCP address nor is a DHCP server available on that interface.

It would appear that interface bge0 is (or was?) configured in pfSense with Type=DHCP. If the current configuration doesn't have Type=DHCP then try rebooting and see if dhclient starts again.

• @wallabybob:

It would appear that interface bge0 is (or was?) configured in pfSense with Type=DHCP. If the current configuration doesn't have Type=DHCP then try rebooting and see if dhclient starts again.

I had the backup node in the CARP cluster offline yesterday for another reason, and after it came online again the DHCLIENT errors went away on that. When I have a chance to do this with the master node it would seem that it would make the error go away here as well.

Regards,
    Anders

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

It's probably just this:

http://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/2212

Safe to ignore, but if you don't have any interfaces that get their IP from DHCP, you can just: killall -9 dhclient