GEOM

• I see that in pfSense 2.0.1 GEOM is not available…but the kernel modules reside in /lib/geom which can't be loaded at all:

kldload: can't load /lib/geom/geom_stripe.so: Exec format error

Also the GEOM utilities are missing but can't be scp'ied over from a FBSD 8.1 DVD...

So how do you get GEOM working on it?

• My mistake..kernel modules must be in /boot/kernel…

So theoretically I can copy those also over...

• Okay..here're the steps required:

• Copy gstripe progam from FBSD8.1 DVD over to /sbin
    • Copy GEOM kernel modules from FBSD8.1 DVD over to /boot/kernel
    • Load the GEOM kernel module with "kldload geom_stripe"

I have two additional disks in my N40L appearing as /dev/ad6 and /dev/ad8:

• Erase any partition information on the drives with "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/adX count=100"
    • Create the stripe with "gstripe label -v st0 /dev/ad6 /dev/ad8"
    • Create a single partition on the stripe with "gpart create -s gpt /dev/stripe/st0"
    • Create a filesystem on the stripe with "newfs -U /dev/stripe/st0p1"

Now the stripe is ready to be mounted…

• Create a mountpoint, for example "mkdir /stripe"
    • Mount the volume with "mount /dev/stripe/st0p1 /stripe"

Now we need to add some entries so GEOM is available at next boot and that the stripe is mounted:

• Add a loader entry in /boot/loader.conf with: geom_stripe_load="YES"
    • Add fstab entry: "echo "/dev/stripe/st0p1 /stripe ufs rw 2 2" >> /etc/fstab"

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

That may be true for gstripe, but we do have gmirror support (even in the installer)

Why would you want to stripe two disks on pfSense? That doesn't make a lot of sense, RAID 0 would only reduce your stability over time. It only helps to gain space by adding disks together to get a larger storage area. Not much use on a firewall (unless it's a separate non-boot volume for something like squid).

gmirror makes sense as it gives you RAID 1 redundancy with two or more disks.