Internal Hosts Not Resolving



  • Just switched from v1.2.2 to v2.0.1. Started over because I couldn't get it to update properly.

    Everything was fine and dandy until I realized that none of my internal hostnames are resolving. I don't have an internal domain setup. I have always used "workgroup" as my domain title with no issue.

    External domains will resolve just fine – for example, "ping google.com" returns 4 quick results.

    If I try to ping one of my internal machines, it doesn't resolve -- For example, "ping toshiba" (where TOSHIBA is the name of one of my Windows desktops) resolves as "toshiba.workgroup [204.232.137.207]". I haven no clue where this IP address even came from. My machines also can't resolve the hostname of my network printers.

    I've already played around with disabling DNS forwarding. Disabling DNS forwarding makes my local network resolve host names, but then I can't resolve domain names over the Internet, even if I force the DNS servers to be Google's (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4). I can't seem to get both internal and external domain/hostname resolution to work. I've read through the forums looking for a fix but couldn't find anything. Thoughts?



  • Are you using the pfSense DHCP server?  If yes, you need to enable the DNS forwarder and make sure you have the "Register DHCP leases in DNS forwarder" and "Register DHCP static mappings in DNS forwarder" options enabled.  Also make sure you have configured the DHCP server to send the pfSense IP as the DNS server NOT your ISP or google DNS servers.

    If you aren't using pfSense DHCP, do you have an internal DNS server configured with your LAN host names?  In this case, you should add this DNS server in the Domain Overrides section of the DNS forwarder config.  Also make sure your clients are using the pfSense IP for DNS resolution.



  • I'm using DHCP through pfSense. Range is set to 192.168.254.99 - 192.168.254.149. pfSense box is @ 192.168.254.254.

    My pfSense is set to auto override any set DNS with the WAN DNS servers (which are currently Time Warner's, 209.18.47.61 and 209.18.47.62). On the dashboard, my DNS servers read: 127.0.0.1, 209.18.47.61, 209.18.47.62, 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4.

    All of my machines use the DNS server 192.168.254.254 when DHCP is used (which is the pfSense machine). I checked off those two options you suggested. ("Register DHCP leases in DNS forwarder" and "Register DHCP static mappings in DNS forwarder")

    Still won't work. Never had an issue with this before. Is there something else I need to do? Everything worked fine in 1.2.2 after the initial install. This version installed more easily but it's really frustrating me with this lack of internal name resolution.



  • @cmusicfan05:

    I checked off those two options you suggested. ("Register DHCP leases in DNS forwarder" and "Register DHCP static mappings in DNS forwarder")

    It is not clear to me if enabling those registrations enables registration of already existing DHCP leases and DHCP static mappings OR registration of NEW DHCP leases and NEW DHCP static mappings.

    That said, host overrides and DHCP static mappings in DNS forwarder work for me in pfSense 2.0.1 and 2.1.

    If you are trying the name lookup on Windows system please post the output of the Windows shell command ipconfig /all


Log in to reply