MultiWan don't Balance @ 100 %

• Hello everybody,

Firstly i would thank all people of this forum by making PFSense such a great tool (and plz excuse my poor english  ::)  )

I'm trying to user a MultiWan configuration on our office, and my choose was about PFSense, i've read a many guide about this but no one helped me tu resolve my issue.

This is what i have now :

_______________WAN1
    Lan |
          |_______________WAN2

i have a "GatewayBalancing" wich contain the both gateways of the differant WANs (Tier1 and Tier2)

A firewall rule wich allow any traffic going out by using the GatewayBalancing group.

My problem is like this

I start a "ping -t" to an external address and then turn down the WAN1 interface (by ssh) then the ping stop. @ this time PFsense must route the traffic through the WAN2 and the ping must continu but it's not happened ! But if a open a new prompt window and start a new ping -t it works !!  :-\

Add to this the failover balancing take between 10 to 20 sec to take effect  :-\

Thanks for help ! ^_^

• Rebel Alliance

• Txs for replaying.

Ok i've change that, but even that the traffic still don't redirect to the other wan connection.  :-\

• Rebel Alliance

Can you describe how do you test the load balance ?

I tested load balance since the 2.0 Beta (Dec 2010) till current 2.0.1 and for me it works.

• @pfsuser:

Txs for replaying.

Ok i've change that, but even that the traffic still don't redirect to the other wan connection.  :-\

You must set the Gateway-Group in your firewall rules as the gateway!
    Try this:
    http://pfsense.org/ip.php
    Refresh the page many times fast after another and if IP changes then LoadBalance is working.

• Hi,

Txs guys for helping.
    This topic was very useful too balancing/failover issue

However i have a question about ping. When i test with a web page the loadbalancing/failover work perfectly and when i use a ping it stop and the ping don't restart but if a start a new ping it works.  :-\

Any idea ?

• @pfsuser:

Hi,

Txs guys for helping.
    This topic was very useful too balancing/failover issue

However i have a question about ping. When i test with a web page the loadbalancing/failover work perfectly and when i use a ping it stop and the ping don't restart but if a start a new ping it works.  :-\

Any idea ?

Take a look at SYSTEM -> ADVANCED
    There is something about resetting firewall states after one Gateway goes down.

• There is the checked option in the System -> Advanced menu:

SYSTEM -> ADVANCED -> Firewall/NAT
    Disable NAT Reflection for port forwards
    Disable NAT Reflection for 1:1 NAT

SYSTEM -> ADVANCED -> Networking
    Hardware TCP Segmentation Offloading
    Hardware Large Receive Offloading

System: Advanced: Miscellaneous
    Load Balancing ->  Use sticky connections
    Security Associations -> Prefer older IPsec SAs
    Schedule -> States
    Gateway Monitoring  -> States