800MHZ & 512MB for 30mbit with pfBlocker?

• I'm considering buying an appliance with pfSense pre-loaded, but I'm concerned about the hardware capacity.  I have a 30mbit connection and I'll want to run pfBlocker (I don't anticipate using any other optional modules).  The box has a VIA 800mhz CPU and 512MB RAM.  Does anyone know how well that would work?

Thanks!  :)

• Netgate Administrator

It will completely depend on how many rules you have for pfBlocker. If you add too many lists etc you can easily end up with a huge rule list that requires a lot of cpu power to process quickly.
    If you keep it simple you will probably be OK, there are too many varibles to know for sure.  :-
    Why not try some testing on your existing hardware, how does your cpu usage vary with pfBlocker on/off?

Steve

• @TrickyWidget:

I'm considering buying an appliance with pfSense pre-loaded, but I'm concerned about the hardware capacity.  I have a 30mbit connection and I'll want to run pfBlocker (I don't anticipate using any other optional modules).  The box has a VIA 800mhz CPU and 512MB RAM.  Does anyone know how well that would work?

Thanks!  :)

I'm running a Neoware CA10 Via C3/800MHZ with pfblocker on NanoBSD

My connection is 50mbit connection with no issues at all.

You should be fine  ;)