Snort won't download ruleset

• Hi all,

I've had Snort installed for a while now.  But, I had never configured it.  A couple of days ago, I updated to the latest 2.9.2.3.  I'm running on 64 bit 2.0.1 pfSense.  I added in my Oinkmaster code.  But, when I try to update the rules, it runs very quickly and says that it finished.  However, the "Installed Signature Ruleset" shows N/A.  Is this normal?  I've tried rebooting, removing, and re-installing the package with the same results.

Thanks,

Jeff

• For testing if you have not selected 'Select Install Emergingthreats rules', select it in Global Settings.
    Click Save.
    Then try again Update rules.

• Just reinstall the package and should be fine.

• "I've tried rebooting, removing, and re-installing the package with the same results."

After selecting the Emergingthreats rules, it successfully downloads those rules.  Now on the Update Tab, it shows:

SNORT.ORG >>> N/A
    EMERGINGTHREATS.NET >>> 108bf1fd5ba0ec4d8d304232053459cd

• You should have the issue in the system log.

• What should I expect to see in the system logs?

Here's the last few days:

Jul 12 12:03:03 php: : Emergingthreats rules file update downloaded succsesfully
    Jul 12 12:03:03 php: : Snort has restarted with your new set of rules…
    Jul 13 00:03:02 php: : Emergingthreats rules file update downloaded succsesfully
    Jul 13 00:03:02 php: : Snort has restarted with your new set of rules...
    Jul 14 00:03:03 php: : Emergingthreats rules file update downloaded succsesfully
    Jul 14 00:03:03 php: : Snort has restarted with your new set of rules...
    Jul 15 20:31:04 php: /index.php: Successful webConfigurator login for user 'admin' from 192.168.56.6
    Jul 15 20:31:04 php: /index.php: Successful webConfigurator login for user 'admin' from 192.168.56.6

I just did a manual update and it doesn't show anything in the logs...

• Update:

I just removed the package and installed the latest version.  Now I'm getting this message every time I try to manually update:

"php: /snort/snort_download_rules.php: Please wait… You may only check for New Rules every 15 minutes..."

Yes, I've waited the 15 minutes in between tries.

• @j3ffr3y:

Update:

I just removed the package and installed the latest version.  Now I'm getting this message every time I try to manually update:

"php: /snort/snort_download_rules.php: Please wait… You may only check for New Rules every 15 minutes..."

Yes, I've waited the 15 minutes in between tries.

I had this exact problem at one point somehow my oink code was bad. I had the premium service and it had expired. I just re-registered the service at snort.org and everything worked fine after that.

• i had the same problem, but entering my snort-code newly fixed it.

• I followed Cino's link to completely remove Snort and re-installed.  = Same Issue

Tried creating new Snort account and generated a new oinkcode = Same Issue.