Install on Virtual Machine?
2 weeks back I bought a new server which is installed with the open source Xen and have 2 virtual machines in there.
If possible, I would like to use the same box for pfsense.
My question, can I reuse this server for pfsense? Will there be any impact if using virtual machine?
Or do I need to buy another server (1 processor, 4GB ram, 500GB HDD SATA) dedicated for this pfsense installation?
Do I need a dedicated network card just for pfsense alone?
Below is the specs for my current server:-
- NEW Intel "Romley" platform with dual processor capable in 1U 4-bay rackmountable HPC server system
- 1 x Intel Xeon SIX-Core E5-2620 2.0Ghz processors
- 7.2GT/s Intel QPI speed, 2 QPI Links, 15Mb Intel Smart Cache,
Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 & Intel Virtualization (VT-x)
- Intel C606 chipset
- Dual QPI Links
- 32GB ECC DDR3 1333Mhz RDIMM memory
- 4 memory channels per CPU
- 1 x 60GB 2.5" SATA3 SSD (for OS/Apps Rapid Startup)
- 2 x 2TB 3.5", 6Gb/s, 7.2K rpm SAS HDDs(SET AS RAID 1)
- Support 4 x 3.5" Hot-swappable Drive Bays
- 2 x 1GbE Intel Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports
- Intel C606 SAS RAID Controller supporting RAID level 0,1 & 10 - Integrated Onboard Graphic Controller with VGA port
- 600W 80PLUS Platinium High-Efficiency PSU
Any help from this community? Thanks in advance.
heper last edited by
pfsense runs fine in VM.
you do need to realize that the VM will cause a considerable overhead and thus the bandwidth you can push through is reduced.
On esxi this means its hard to get more then 2Gbit/s, on Xen i hear it's better but have no personal experience with it.
you only specified 2 lan ports. Depending on your setup this might or might not be enough. Dedicating network card(s) for pfsense is not a requirement if you have vlan-capable switches.
so it's better to get a dedicated box for this?
would the dedicated server specs below sufficient for my network (around 30 macs and 10 linux servers)?
- Intel platform with single-socket quad-core processor in 1U rackmountable server system
- 1 x Intel Xeon Quad-Core E3-1230 3.20Ghz processor
- 5.0GTI, 8Mb Intel Smart Cache, DMI, Hyper-Threading, Intel
Turbo Boost 2.0, Intel Virtualization (VT-x) & (VT-d) Technology - Intel C202 PCH chipset
- 4Gb ECC DDR3 1333Mhz memory
- 1 x 500Gb 3.5", 6Gb/s, 7.2K rpm SATA Enterprise HDDs
- 2 x 1GbE Intel Ethernet LAN ports
- Integrated Onboard Graphic Controller with VGA port
- Integrated IPMI 2.0 with Dedicated IPMI LAN port with
- 250W High Efficent PSU
any help? thanks.
Metu69salemi last edited by
Question is more like what features you're going to run on it and what is desired throughput
firewall, vpn for sure.
but utm, i can't seem to find from the features page http://www.pfsense.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=43