PfSense 2.1 DHCP Issues/Questions
I am posting here for feedback before I submit bug reports and feature requests in case my thinking is crazy.
- I have run in to a problem attempting to add DHCP options to DHCPv6. The on I have tried to add is option 4, dhcp6.ia-ta. When I enable option 4 in the web gui, it adds the option to /var/dhcpd/etc/dhcpdv6.conf as option custom-lan-0, see full line below and of course, dhcpd does not like custom-lan-0, see error message below, as the option should be dhcp6.ia-ta. Is there a logical reason for this problem or is this a bug?
option custom-lan-0 "2001:1:1:1:ffff:ffff:ffff:0010 2001:1:1:1:ffff:ffff:ffff:00ff";
php: /services_dhcpv6.php: The command '/usr/local/sbin/dhcpd -6 -user dhcpd -group _dhcp -chroot /var/dhcpd -cf /etc/dhcpdv6.conf -pf /var/run/dhcpdv6.pid lagg0_vlan20' returned exit code '1', the output was 'Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server 4.2.3 Copyright 2004-2011 Internet Systems Consortium. All rights reserved. For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/ /etc/dhcpdv6.conf line 18: unknown option dhcp.custom-lan-0 option custom-lan-0 "2001:1:1:1:ffff:ffff:ffff:0010 2001:1:1:1:ffff:fff ^ Configuration file errors encountered – exiting If you did not get this software from ftp.isc.org, please get the latest from ftp.isc.org and install that before requesting help. If you did get this software from ftp.isc.org and have not yet read the README, please read it before requesting help. If you intend to request help from the email@example.com mailing list, please read the section on the README about submitting bug reports and requests for hel
- Continuing from the problem above, I have tried adding the dhcp6.ia-ta option to /var/dhcpd/etc/dhcpdv6.conf manually, see my code below, and dhcpd does not complain, but my client does not like it. It could be the client or the server. I do not know of any dhcp clients that specifically support dhcpv6 ia-ta except dibbler which I am running on two systems, one running Windows XP (dibblet v0.8.2) and one running Ubuntu 9.0.4 (dibbler v0.7.1).
option dhcp6.ia-ta "2001:1:1:1:ffff:ffff:ffff:0010 2001:470:5:b6d:ffff:ffff:ffff:00ff";
I have also testing adding the following line along with the above line.
option dhcp6.ia-na "2001:1:1:1:ffff:ffff:ffff:0010 2001:470:5:b6d:ffff:ffff:ffff:00ff";
When I setup dibbler for ia and ta, 0.7.1 just fails, but 0.8.2 gets the non ta IP and has issues with ta, see log messages below. When I do not request ta, Received ADVERTISE message has opts 3 1 2 23. Is this the DHCP server not properly understanding the solicit or does the version of dhcpd in pfsense 2.1 not support ia-ta, is my config wrong, something else? what is option 13, the ISC DHCP guide lists this at "N/A, code and optional additional information string provided by the server". So it does not have a string, but does it need to be set or is it that dhcpd sends 13 when it needs it, but dibbler does not understand 13? I understand that this could be a dibbler issue. What I am looking for is someone that knows what server config works for ia-ta with the version of dhcpd in pfSense 2.1.
28:46 Client Info Processing msg (SOLICIT,transID=0x71f5,opts: 1 4 8 6)
28:46 Client Info Received ADVERTISE on NETBRIDGE01/7,TransID=0x71f5, 3 opts: 1 2 13
- A plus with the pfSense dhcpdv6 page is that it does not complain if you set a static DHCP entry using an IP in the DHCP range. However, this is an annoying issue with the dhcpdv4 page. This is a very annoying issue with routers. Some want it in the DHCP range, some don't and a few don't care. So here are the questions.
3a) Is ISC DHCPd intelligent enough to not assign an IP in the static list if that IP is in the DHCP range?
3b) Is there some issue where the v4 code may assign the IP and the v6 code does not.
3c) I would like to request that the feature remain as it is in the v6 page and the limitation be removed from the v4 page. Anyone have an issue with this?
- With IPv6, one issue is that when people change ISPs, many if not most will have to change their LAN and other subnet IPs. Due to this, it would be great if the pfSense DHCP system could change the prefix leaving the interface IDs in the range fields as is so that a change is more seamless. I am not saying that I have a system for doing this since pfSense allows for allocations larger and smaller than a /64 and rightfully so as some ISPs are not following the /64 only guideline and frankly DHCP allows for this so that users can change the prefix length when it makes sense. I do not really want to argue if it ever makes sense to use a prefix lengthen other than a /64, I get the arguments for both sides.
To point 3)
I would love to see a DHCP6 lease reservation system which does not care if the reserved ip is from within the lease range or outside.
But i think it is not working yet as expected on 2.1BETA1 from 4.3.13
1. I did a reservation without adding an IP and expected it takes one out of the pool
2. the reservation shows up on the list, but as offline, while the system still has tha initial added dynamic lease
3. the reservation entry has a light red "x" at the end, but the reservation cannot be removed
As i cannot remove the reservation i cannot add one with an ip entered