Cron job not running

• Hi Everyone,

I have installed the cron package and I have also tried with "crontab -e" but both methods fail for the following script:

#!/bin/sh
    DATErand=`date +%s`
    cp /tmp/faxspin.avi /tmp/faxspin-$DATErand.avi
    wput /tmp/faxspin-$DATErand.avi ftp://anonymous:pass@ftp.com/public/incoming/
    rm -rf /tmp/faxspin-$DATErand.avi

File privilges: -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  229 Sep 13 22:06 /usr/bin/wput.sh

There is no indication that the script file is run as there is no faxspin-$DATErand.avi is created. This works just fine if I run this script from shell.

Please advise.

Thanks,

• On the wput line, use the full path to wput. That may be the only issue.

• This is exactly what I have in the cron:

• root /usr/bin/wput.sh

And here is the change I made per your suggestion to no avail:

#!/bin/sh
    DATErand=date +%s
    cp /tmp/faxspin.avi /tmp/faxspin-$DATErand.avi
    /usr/local/bin/wput /tmp/faxspin-$DATErand.avi ftp://anonymous:pass@ftp.com/public/incoming/
    rm -rf /tmp/faxspin-$DATErand.avi

How can I see the logs as to what really happens? if logs are not turned on for cron, how can I turn it on.

Thanks

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

The logs for cron are not configured in syslog – however, if you enable remote syslog, and tell it to send "everything" it will also forward the logs for cron to a remote box where you can see them.

In a cron script, always make sure you use the full path to every command - even date, cp, rm, etc. That or at the start of the script, set your own PATH variable to include the directories where the binaries you need lie.