XMLRPC Sync no longer working (HTTP/1.0 413 Request Entity Too Large)



  • Hi all,

    We are on 2.1-BETA0 (i386) built on Tue Sep 18 20:20:31 EDT 2012 and our H/A sync has stopped working. The following error shows up in the logs:

    php: : Beginning XMLRPC sync to https://x.x.x.xx:443

    php: : An error code was received while attempting XMLRPC sync with username admin https://x.x.x.xx:443 - Code 5: Didn't receive 200 OK from remote server. (HTTP/1.0 413 Request Entity Too Large)

    If we clear the error, restart the firewall, then un-check / re-check HA Sync, the firewalls sync up again.

    Later in the day when we start to add stuff - it breaks again.

    Any ideas?

    JD


  • Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

    How large is your config.xml? Are there any particular sections that are very large?

    I don't think anything has changed in the sync code in quite a while (At least since June) so I don't think it would be prone to breaking spontaneously, unless something inside the config is causing it…



  • I ran into the same thing on a pair of boxes running 2.1-BETA0 (i386) - 20120913 nano; I figured out that the disk was full, so it was rejecting the uploaded xml. Have you checked your disk space when you have received the error?



  • So this popped up again today, and it is specifically the /tmp drive that is full:

    $ df
    Filesystem        512-blocks   Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
    /dev/ufs/pfsense0    3780028 573580 2904046    16%    /
    devfs                      2      2       0   100%    /dev
    /dev/md0               78812  78752   -6244   109%    /tmp
    /dev/md1              118492  36220   72796    33%    /var
    /dev/ufs/cf           101055   3743   89228     4%    /cf
    devfs                      2      2       0   100%    /var/dhcpd/dev
    

    I'm wondering if there is an easy way to parition the extra 60G on the ssd for /tmp; I would do this without hesitation on a linux box, but I'm not as familiar with partitioning and mounting in BSD. Also, here is a listing of the /tmp file sizes:

    $ du -sh /tmp/*
     38M	/tmp/PHP_errors.log
    2.0k	/tmp/apinger.status
     72k	/tmp/config.cache
      0B	/tmp/config.lock
    2.0k	/tmp/dhcpd.sh
      0B	/tmp/filter.lock
      0B	/tmp/ipsecdns.lock
     42k	/tmp/lighttpdcompress
    4.0k	/tmp/mnt
    2.0k	/tmp/ovpns1_router
      0B	/tmp/ovpns1up
    2.0k	/tmp/pfSense_version
    2.0k	/tmp/pfctl_si_out
    6.0k	/tmp/pfctl_ss_out
      0B	/tmp/php-fastcgi.socket-0
      0B	/tmp/php-fastcgi.socket-1
      0B	/tmp/php_errors.txt
    2.0k	/tmp/re0_defaultgw
      0B	/tmp/re0_defaultgwv6
      0B	/tmp/resolvconf.lock
    2.0k	/tmp/rules.boot
     16k	/tmp/rules.debug
     16k	/tmp/rules.debug.old
    2.0k	/tmp/rules.limits
      0B	/tmp/shm1000.lock
     40k	/tmp/system-processor.rrd-4year.png
     40k	/tmp/system-processor.rrd-8hour.png
     38k	/tmp/system-processor.rrd-day.png
     38k	/tmp/system-processor.rrd-month.png
     38k	/tmp/system-processor.rrd-quarter.png
     36k	/tmp/system-processor.rrd-week.png
     34k	/tmp/system-processor.rrd-year.png
      0B	/tmp/tmpHOSTS
    2.0k	/tmp/uploadbar
      0B	/tmp/xmlrpc.lock
    


  • @bryanagee:

    I'm wondering if there is an easy way to parition the extra 60G on the ssd for /tmp;

    You are apparently running the nano-BSD based variant of pfSense where /tmp is a "ram disk"  (/tmp is mounted on /dev/md0, a "memory disk") in order to minimise the writes to the hard drive.

    Your du output suggests your /tmp has filled up due to lots of reports in /tmp/PHP_errors.log. That would be worth investigating.



  • Yes.. I had to scp it off of there and look at it. The PHP_errors.log was 38M of this one line:

    PHP Warning:  stristr(): Empty delimiter in /etc/inc/interfaces.inc on line 3872
    

    I'm not sure if this has been fixed in the latest, but it would be worth looking at.



  • The stristr issue is due to $ip being blank in find_carp_interface. This has been reported in Redmine http://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/2645 and a fix proposed there. Someone who knows what the various forms of possible XML data structures in the CARP VIP section of the config can be could look at this and fix it. Pi Ba has proposed a solution that someone could review, test and commit.


Log in to reply