"Time offset too great"



  • I have a master/slave set up that has been working very well for about 9 months. I recently started seeing some bizarre issues on my network. When I started poking around in the logs for the Master, I found several lines about IPs being reserved or in use by another. When I dug deeper in the logs, I found that Master and Slave were not communicating due to the fact that the time (both synch from the same ntp server) on the two machines is too greatly offset (log message on both machines says something to the effect of "communications interrupted because "time offset is too great".

    I have now turned off DHCP on the slave and am trying to figure out how to get it to sync its time more accurately. It is showing itself as being about 7 minutes slower than both my watch and the master.

    Any help is greatly appreciated. The net result of having the two not communicate seems to be that the slave tries to take over and the two battle it out for supremacy as the dhcp server (hence the reason for turning off dhcp).

    Thanks,

    Glen



  • Check the system log and see if there are any errors. You could use diagnostics, command to set the time via the date command: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=date&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+8.1-RELEASE&arch=default&format=html



  • Thanks for the response.
    I did figure out how to set the time manually. Times are now within a few seconds of each other.
    This seems to have cleared up the time offset issue but I am seeing some strange behavior. From the system Logs on the master:

    Oct 9 10:53:52 dhcpd: uid lease 10.5.4.234 for client 64:20:0c:90:1e:70 is duplicate on 10.5.0.0/21
    Oct 9 10:53:44 dhcpd: uid lease 10.5.3.9 for client 64:20:0c:96:19:bf is duplicate on 10.5.0.0/21
    Oct 9 10:53:31 dhcpd: uid lease 10.5.6.45 for client bc:67:78:12:04:c3 is duplicate on 10.5.0.0/21
    Oct 9 10:53:19 dhcpd: uid lease 10.5.7.208 for client 64:20:0c:7d:c2:2c is duplicate on 10.5.0.0/21
    Oct 9 10:53:15 dhcpd: uid lease 10.5.3.91 for client d4:20:6d:da:8c:ab is duplicate on 10.5.0.0/21
    Oct 9 10:53:09 dhcpd: uid lease 10.5.4.164 for client 74:e2:f5:91:a5:bb is duplicate on 10.5.0.0/21

    Even though I had disabled the DHCP services on the slave, I was seeing stuff like the following in the DCHP logs on the master:
    Oct 9 10:59:22 dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 10.5.3.254 (10.5.1.3) from b0:65:bd:ec:32:12 (iPad) via em1_vlan2

    10.5.1.3 is the slave…

    Also, if DHCP is enabled on the Slave, I will see lines like the following in the DHCP logs:
    dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 10.5.4.183 from 88:c6:63:23:e7:86 via em1_vlan2: lease owned by peer


Log in to reply