How to configure the auto detect squid proxy?

• Hi to all,

please help me on How to configure the auto detect squid proxy?
    kindly give me the steps..

i already configure my proxy with squid and squidGuard.. but the proxy will just be effective when i change the proxy setting of my browser. ip add:port.. i want this setting to be auto detect by the computers..please help.. thank alot!

• I can download the files wpad.dat. wpad.da and proxy.pac.. but still auto detect is not working.. what am i missing?? kindly help.. this is so much appreciated..  ;)

• Hello,

Here you can find explanations on how to configure wpad : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Proxy_Autodiscovery_Protocol

Basically you have to have a web server serving the wpad file (reachable without proxy) at the address : http://wpad.mydomain.tld and auto dectect network settings activated in internet options (if using ie or chrome) or in options - advanced - network (if using firefox). The wpad address could also be specified in the dhcp server (option 252).

Regards,
    Stéphane.

• I tried to follow that instruction, but didn't work.. any documentation you can give? thanks

• I attach the screen shot of what i did..kindly help me out, if ever i missed something.. thanks everyone! ;)

• tcpdump packages on lan to see what dns info(port 53) your machine is looking for when you open the browser.

• my wpad file looks like that as i don't want proxy for local and vpn servers

maybe this can help you

function FindProxyForURL(url, host) {

// If IP address is internal or hostname resolves to internal IP, send direct.

var resolved_ip = dnsResolve(host);

if (isInNet(resolved_ip, "10.0.0.0", "255.0.0.0") ||
                    isInNet(resolved_ip, "172.16.0.0",  "255.240.0.0") ||
                    isInNet(resolved_ip, "192.168.0.0", "255.255.0.0") ||
                    isInNet(resolved_ip, "127.0.0.0", "255.0.0.0"))

return "DIRECT";

return "PROXY proxy.domain.lan:3128; DIRECT";
    }

maybe you could also check the webserver logs to see if your hosts grab the wpad file