Trouble Getting Set Up

• Hey guys, this will be my first time using pfSense instead of my usual ZyXel or Juniper.  I'm setting it up in my home office to test and see how I like it before using it at clients.  I've configured a Hyper-V machine with 1 core and 768MB of RAM.  There are two Legacy Network Interfaces; one will be for the WAN and the other for the LAN.

The host box has two NICs - one that I have dedicated to the WAN interface that can plug into the modem when ready, and the other that goes to the switch.

I have booted up the system and configured the WAN and LAN ports.  The LAN port is using 192.168.0.2 until I have it configured how I want it.  One of the servers on my Hyper-V box is using 192.168.0.12.  I am able to ping .12, but not .2.  I am able to configure the pfSense box locally from the Hyper-V terminal, but I am unable to get to the web interface.  I feel like there's got to be something simple I'm missing, but I'm stuck and really wanted to try this device out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Netgate Administrator

@lysis:

I am able to ping .12, but not .2.

Where are you pinging from? What is the result of the ping? No route? No response? Host not found?

Steve

• @stephenw10:

Where are you pinging from? What is the result of the ping? No route? No response? Host not found?

Steve

Hey, Steve.  That'll be easy to remember - I'm Steve, too!

TWC Modem -> Linksys E2600 (I think) Wi-Fi Router (192.168.0.1) also acting as switch.

Hyper-V has two NICs plugged directly into Linksys.  My laptop is Wi-Fi.

I can ping .12 from my laptop (Reply from…)

I cannot ping .2 successfully (Reply from [laptop IP address]: Destination host unreachable.

Interestingly enough, from the pfSense console, I can ping both the Linksys and .12 successfully.

• It seems as though maybe the Hyper-V isn't initializing the NICs properly.

Ifconfig de0 down
    Ifconfig de0 up
    Ifconfig de1 down
    Ifconfig de1 up

Now I'm able to ping the pfSense box and access the web interface.