Serial connection with putty - putty stays black

• Hello,

I recently purchased a FWA-3020 from OSnet.eu http://www.osnet.eu/en/content/firewall-fwa-3020
    I am trying to connect to the console with putty, but when I start the device I see my cursor move over the screen, but there is no text displayed.
    If the cursor stops moving, it jumps back to the top, but I cannot enter any commands. After typing some enters, ctrl-c,… It starts making this "click" noise
    which means the keyboard buffer is full, I guess.

I checked my com parameters and they are the standard 9600/8/N/1, also tested with another device and there everything went fine.

Does somebody know what I might be doing wrong?
    Thanks in advance.

• Are you using a null-modem cable or a straight serial cable?
    Problems like these are usually is a mix-up between these two.

• I honestly don't now, the one that was delivered with the device.
    I suppose it is the correct one (null-modem?)  because I just tried with a freedos embedded image and that was working fine :s

• Ok then you have the right cable :)

Which version did you install?
    For use with a the serial interface you should flash the nanoBSD version.
    –> the file: pfSense-2.0.1-RELEASE-1g-i386-nanobsd.img.gz or similar (512mb, 1g, 2g, 4g)

• I used the pfSense-2.0.1-RELEASE-4g-amd64-nanobsd.img.gz image.
    I also just received an email from osnet.eu saying that there is a hidden vga-port and the output is going by default to the hidden VGA port, not the console.
    I thought I read that with the nanobsd images it was going to the console by default,no?
    They are telling me I should mount it on a freebsd machine and use boot0cfg? Can I alter the output with that?

edit: Apparently you can, just read man boot0cfg

• My CF card shows up as:

da5
    da5s1
    da5s1a
    da5s2
    da5s2a
    da5s3

So I suppose
    boot0cfg -b boot0sio da5

should do the trick? But it doesn't :(

• Apparently a "normal"```