Cant connect on ftp servers worldwide

• Hi, I dont know weather this is or not a nat issue, but after installing and begin using pfsense, I just cant connect to normals ftp servers worldwide; not even my pfsense box cant do that; this is becoming a trouble for install new packages, for example:

pkg_add -r dot

Error: FTP Unable to get ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.2-release/Latest/dot.tbz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
    pkg_add: unable to fetch 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.2-release/Latest/dot.tbz' by URL

Even when I try to connect to this server, from my mozilla, I get timeout:
    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/

I use 1 LAN and 1 WAN, simple configuration; could this be a nat issue or a firewall one? can I see the dropped packages using any kind of application in pfsense, or a log file?

I need this package, dot.tbz to use it with NTOP, to generate graphics of network usage;

Sometimes, the same way, I cant connect with my webserver using SSH (port 22); I'm sure the box is on, answears my http requests, the ssh server is up, but cant connect; after some time I got :(

I know the question is basic, but what are the basic rules for a simple WAN to LAN scheme in NAT and firewall, in order to use pfsense for basic things that all office needs?

sorry for the newbie question :|

1. There is a pfSense package available for NTOP (system, packages).
    2. Have you verified DNS resolution from the firewall?
    3. Do you have the ftp helper enabled on the LAN interface?