Performance Problems, on Alix.6e1



  • I upgraded my Snapshot to the Friday February 1st snapshot yesterday from the Previous weekends snapshot I was running.  I noticed today that downloads were running slow, so I upgraded again to the snapshot to Sat Feb 2 21:35:14 EST.  Still having the slow downloads, I installed the iperf package, and ran a couple of tests.  It appears that the performance issue is occurring on the system itself, and not my internet.  I can upload with iperf to the system at 80mbps from a local client, but can only download between 1.5 and 10mbps.

    Is there something that has changed since last weekend that might be effecting the vr (VIA Rhine, Rhine II) network device?  Or possibly to the vlan setup, as I do have a secondary vlan on the lan interface for a guest network portal.



  • May have possibly found it, was looking at https://github.com/bsdperimeter/pfsense, and found hw.usb.no_pf="1" was added two days ago to the loader.conf.  (http://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/2306)  Even though this refers to disabling the USB buss from showing as a network interface.  I did think this could possibly be having an effect, I added a system tunable and set hw.usb.no_pf with a value of 0.  After a reboot, below is the output from iperf, internet performance running a test on www.speedtest.net appears to be back up to normal.

    8] local 192.168.5.3 port 60103 connected with 192.168.5.1 port 5001
    [ ID] Interval      Transfer    Bandwidth
    [  8]  0.0- 1.0 sec  9.00 MBytes  75.5 Mbits/sec
    [  8]  1.0- 2.0 sec  7.00 MBytes  58.7 Mbits/sec
    [  8]  2.0- 3.0 sec  5.75 MBytes  48.2 Mbits/sec
    [  8]  3.0- 4.0 sec  8.75 MBytes  73.4 Mbits/sec
    [  8]  4.0- 5.0 sec  6.88 MBytes  57.7 Mbits/sec
    [  8]  5.0- 6.0 sec  8.88 MBytes  74.4 Mbits/sec
    [  8]  6.0- 7.0 sec  7.00 MBytes  58.7 Mbits/sec
    [  8]  7.0- 8.0 sec  7.75 MBytes  65.0 Mbits/sec
    [  8]  8.0- 9.0 sec  9.50 MBytes  79.7 Mbits/sec
    [  8]  9.0-10.0 sec  3.88 MBytes  32.5 Mbits/sec
    [  8]  0.0-10.0 sec  74.6 MBytes  62.5 Mbits/sec

    It's possible though that the problem doesn't show up for a little while, so I will redo tests later today and see if the problems back or if this did indeed resolve the problem.


Log in to reply