Squid blocking web traffic even after it has been uninstalled


  • I retired the old OpenBSD box I was running pf on over a year ago and have been running pfSense ever since.  Love it.

    That said, however, I decided to experiment a little with Squid/SquidGuard so I installed those two packages, downloaded a couple of blocklists and started checking things out.  After a bit of fiddling, I got it blocking non-secure webpages In transparent proxy mode.  Weird thing was, it was blocking stuff like Google even though I only had it configured to block social networking sites.  After disabling all blocking, I noticed I was still getting the blocking page on some, but not all non-secure sites.  I restored the blocklist database to factory default but to no avail.  Finally, I just removed Squid and SquidGuard entirely.  Now I get a 404 - Not Found when accessing the sites that were blocked by the proxy before, something is still trying to send certain pages to the error page.  I've tried rebooting but that doesn't help either.

    Any ideas on what might be going on here?  I did save the config before I made these changes since I updated from 2.0.1 today so I can try restoring it.  Incidentally, I got the re-installing packages message for over an hour until I finally rebooted the system when I performed the update.  Now I'm wondering if this problem could be related to a botched update.

    EDIT:  I tried restoring the config to no avail, as well as emptying the var/db/squidGuard directory which still contained the blocklist URLs.  No joy.

    Thanks,

    • Phil

    Running latest pfSense build:
    Version 2.0.2-RELEASE (amd64)
    built on Fri Dec 7 22:39:43 EST 2012
    FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE-p13


  • First thing this morning I got the following when attempting to go to Google:
    Request denied by pfSense proxy: 403 Forbidden
    Reason: Client address: 192.168.2.100
    Client group: default
    Target group: none
    URL: http://www.google.com/

    A quick check showed that my "restore configuration" appeared to have reinstalled Squid and SquidGuard since I had them installed before but they weren't activated.  Strangely, when I checked right after restoring the settings last night I was still getting the 404.  I removed the two packages again and am now back to the 404 page.  Not sure where to go from here, I can try reinstalling all packages but I get the feeling that won't work.

    This is a pretty serious bug.  Let me know if there's any information that I can provide to help in figuring out what went wrong and hopefully avoid this problem for other users.  I'll wait as long as I can before wiping everything out and starting over.

    • Phil

  • OMG - I just cleared the browser cache and it's working fine.  I didn't realize it would continue to cache the failure.  My apologies for wasting everyone's time who read this post.

    I'm going to see if I can find an Abacus to use for my computing needs here, hopefully I can master that at least…

    • Phil