Dnsmasq problem?

• So I've scoured the internet looking for anyone else with this problem, and only one entry came up in a dnsmasq mailing list.  I tried following what it said to do, but it didn't seem to help.  Here's what's going on with my setup.  Every 3-20 seconds, I get the following two entries repeating themselves (IPs & company identifying marks removed):

Apr  5 13:58:54 <pfsense ip=""> dhcpleases: Ignoring DHCP lease for emtdevlapnix01.office. <company name="">because it has an illegal domain part
    Apr  5 13:58:54 <pfsense ip=""> dnsmasq[31153]: read /etc/hosts - 79 addresses</pfsense></company></pfsense>

Company name has no .com, .net, etc. after it, so it is not a FQDN on purpose.  The one link I could find suggested that this error comes because I set the full host/domain name on this *nix box, and dnsmasq only allows dhcp hosts to set their full dns if it matches its configuration.  It was suggested that the error would go away if I added domain=office.<company name=""></company> to the dnsmasq config file to make it authoritative for that domain.  Since this is pfsense, I added it into the services -> dns forwarder config section in Advanced.  After applying the changes, it still gives that error.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

It could also be that some character in "company name" that is not valid in a hostname. Without seeing the actual text it's difficult to speculate.

Usually in those cases I use <name>.local or .localdomain rather than ending it with the actual company name.</name>

• LAYER 8 Global Moderator

^ I agree I would not suggest using a company name as the tld.

I like <name>.lan myself - but sure .local or .localdomain are commonly used tld used when its not a public resolvable domain name.

I find that line of text of your error in dhcp.c of dnsmasq

if (strcmp(dot+1, suffix) != 0)
    				syslog(LOG_WARNING, 
    				       "Ignoring DHCP lease for %s because it has an illegal domain part", hostname);

it would be very helpful to know what your setting exactly.  Are you saying non nix boxes are in this same .companyname tld ?  And they work ok?  Or is the nix box in a different domain than your other boxes are using?</name>

• OK, the full domain name I'm using is office.emediatrade.  It is the only domain in our office.  Yes, Windows boxes are working fine in this domain.  I do have other *nix boxes in this environment, but this is the only one using dhcp.  This is the only machine giving this error in the logs.

I also want to point out that the machine itself doesn't have any visible problems connecting to the network or anything else.  This error just pops up in the log.  I would ignore it, but I'm trying to set up remote logging, and these errors are fast taking up a large chunk of the logs, hence why I'd like to resolve its problem.

do you have the . on the end??  Or was that just the period on the end of your sentence?

I can try and duplicate your issue, can you post your nix box config where you set his domain on the box?

• Period at the end of my sentence.

see my edit - can you post up your nix box config

• This is a centos box, btw.

/etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
    ::1     emtdevlapnix01.office.emediatrade       emtdevlapnix01  localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

/etc/sysconfig/network:

NETWORKING=yes
    HOSTNAME=emtdevlapnix01.office.emediatrade

• After thinking about this, something just occurred to me–do you think it could be trying to treat the whole host/domain as the hostname?  That would make the hostname too long, wouldn't it?  Would it be worth trying to remove the domain from the hostname values?

so curious why you set your ipv6 loopback to your fqdn, but leave ipv4 127.0.0.1 at just localhost?

I can fire up my centos vm and try and duplicate your error now.

From my reading in centos the hostname in that file should be your fqdn.  So I don't see that is too long.

• I didn't set it up that way.  Either CentOS did, or the guy using this machine did.  We don't use ipv6 in our network right now anyway.