Modem to Router to Pfsense Set Up

• I have 2 Internet Connection from 1 ISP. I have read somewhere that using 2 internet connection for Multiwan from the same ISP will not work because they might acquire the same Gateway. The question is, How or what configuration should I do to the router to enable it to be plugged in one of my Pfsense ethernet ports and be detected as a gateway?

• LAYER 8 Global Moderator

You could just look and see if your IPs you get from your ISP on the 2 connections are in fact the same network and have the same gateway.  If they do not then your golden.

If they do - you could always just nat one or both of them before connecting to pfsense.

• tried it. they do get the same gateway. Which NAT set up will I do? NAT from the router or from the Pfsense?

• LAYER 8 Global Moderator

well you can not do nat at pfsense for your ISP, so at the isp device (router) nat the IP that pfsense gets.

example
    isp1 public 1.2.3.50, gateway 1.2.3.1 - router1 10.0.1.1/24 –- 10.0.1.2/24 pfsense wan1
    isp2 public 1.2.3.60, gateway 1.2.3.1 - router2 10.0.2.1/24 --- 10.0.2.1/24 pfsense wan2

Now pfsense see's 2 different connections with 2 diff networks.

• Netgate Administrator

You can leave one router in bridge mode so that one of your pfSense WAN interfaces will have a public IP. Makes it easier for port forwarding, UPNP etc later on.

Steve