Basic understanding question

• Example: tracked interface = wan.

Does "track interface" mean, that the delegated ip6 prefix (for example: /62 via DHCPv6-PD on WAN interface) is automatically used for SLAAC on the LAN interface? So a/64 is calculated ut of the delegated subnet and used for the LAN interface?

What if i get a /62 via prefix delegation and have two LAN interfaces? Can I use tracking on both LAN interfaces? So LAN1 calculates a /64 out of the /62 and LAN 2 does the same thing?

–----
    And what does IPv6 prefix ID mean?

Sorry for my newbie questions :-)

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

track interface means that the interface will pull an IP from the delegated prefix and it's automatically setup for DHCP and SLAAC.

The prefix for that will always be /64, so if you get a /62 from your provider, the prefix ID specifies which of the delegated prefixes to use where. The LAN would be using one ID, and your other internal interface would use a different prefix ID, etc.

The ID may be up to your ISP, so you might have to ask them, but typically it just goes 0, 1, 2, 3 … d, e, f.

• Thx for the fast respone!

Is the "ID" the so called subnet id?
    –--
    from wikipedia ipv6 article:

The network prefix (the routing prefix combined with the subnet id) is contained in the most significant 64 bits of the addres

That seems to me logical. I use the provider give prefix and add my own subnet IDs...

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

Yes.