Squidguard error page does not load on blocked URL



  • I have squidguard Beta 1.4_4 pkg v.1.9.2  and squid 2.7.9 pkg v.4.3.3 loaded on a pfsense 2.0.3 box.  Squid works fine and squidguard seems to work except for one issue - when a page is blocked the error page never loads.  The address seems to load in the browser URL but it never completes.

    Squid is set to be transparent and I've tried nearly every option for the error page (int and ext) but it seems to exhibit the same behavior.  Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this are appreciated.



  • OK - I figured out most of my issues.  For anyone experiencing some of the same maybe this is helpful:

    Internal redirect issues:
    The error page is rendered from the same interface as the UI, I found out.  I have squid and squidguard on a few vlan interfaces so that I could isolate the UI and some other devices from what is basically my "mgmt" network subnet.  Because I have FW rules in place to block all traffic from the vlan'ed interfaces to this mgmt network, the page won't render.

    External URL's not working:
    While I was changing the settings I was not deleting the browser cache on my iphone between settings changes.  So, I was getting old webpages when hitting the same sites rather than the redirected pages.  So lesson learned is to always delete your cache when testing these different settings!


Log in to reply