Native /64 and pfSense as VM in proxmox

• Hi,

I have a proxmox container with a pfsense VM running and several vms attached to the psfsense.

IPv4 works fine, and ipv6 works fine on wan side but no lan side.

Let's call my /64 a🅱c:d:e.f:g.h: , i have assigned a🅱c:d::1 to the proxmox machine and a🅱c:d:2::1 to the wan in pfsense with gateway a🅱c:d::1

So far so good, i can ping to the outside however pfsense doen't respond to pings, no biigy.

On LAN side i have assigned a🅱c:d:4::1 and setup dhcpv6 however i can't get any of the VMs to get in ip in the range a🅱c:d:4::2-ff

Wheen i can get an lan machine to receive an ipv6 it's allways A🅱c:d:x❌x:x

I have tried several configurations and read around the forums for the last 3 days but still can't get my head around it, any suggestions?

• over 400 views an not 1 suggestion :(

• I think you would need an extra /64 (or bigger) IPv6 subnet routed to your WAN IPv6 IP by your provider. You should use the /64 only as transport net between your VM and the provider router. You can use that extra /64 net on the LAN side for DHCP then.

• @athurdent:

I think you would need an extra /64 (or bigger) IPv6 subnet routed to your WAN IPv6 IP by your provider. You should use the /64 only as transport net between your VM and the provider router. You can use that extra /64 net on the LAN side for DHCP then.

He is indeed correct. You need a subnet routed to an address in your linking subnet. Typically here in New Zealand we are given a /64 or /112 linking subnet between our router and the ISP. The ISP then tells us what /48 or /56 subnet they will route us and to which IP address in the linking range. We then set the PFsense WAN to that address and it works great.