Annoyed at Carp. How many different ways can you say no?



  • My project consists of two web servers behind two load balancers.  My hopes are to get it set up with failover. 
    Currently, I'm following this article:  http://olddoc.pfsense.org/index.php/Setting_up_CARP_with_pfSense

    Each load balancer has three interfaces, one from each on the WAN side going to a Linksys switch, one from each on the LAN side going to an Extreme Networks switch.  The third is for heartbeat. 
    LB1 = 192.168.4.1
    LB2 = 192.168.4.2
    Both use the same admin password.  In each, I went into CARP settings, telling them to sync everything and pointing to the IP address of the opposite LB.  I then created a rule to allow all forms of traffic across that interface (OPT1 renamed to heartbeat).  Every few minutes, I get an error message "[sync_settings] An error code was received while attempting XMLRPC sync with http://192.168.4.1:80 Code 5: Didn't receive 200 OK from remote server. (HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized)"

    Admin login and password are the same on both boxes.  I've retyped the passwords in general setup as well as CARP settings. 
    I've tried with a straight cable and with a crossover cable between the two.
    Now that part that is truly aggravating is that it continues to try to sync even when specifically tell it not to.  CARP is presently disabled, the first box in CARP settings is not checked and the interface is even disabled, but the system continually tries to sync and fails.

    Short of wiping out both boxes and starting over, how do I correct this?



  • In each, I went into CARP settings, telling them to sync everything and pointing to the IP address of the opposite LB

    You only want to select all the bits you want to sync ie rules, aliases etc on the master
    On the slave you want to only check "Synchronize Enabled" and fill in the IP and password of the master and select the correct sync interface

    A 401 response must mean the password on one box in the sync settings is wrong



  • I did finally get sync working.  Discovered that one of the network cards was bad.  The thing that annoyed me initially is that once I told it to sync, I could never get it to stop making the attempt short of resetting to factory.


Log in to reply