Internal DNS server behind pfSense can't make outgoing queries



  • I posted in the 2.1 prerelease section about my network slowing down to a crawl.  I just did the 2.0.3 -> 2.1 upgrade today and rebooted the box.  When I finished rebooting, I could not load any web pages from the Internet.  I've gone into my DNS server and tried to make queries from it, and they are timing out.

    
    ; <<>> DiG 9.8.5-P1 <<>> www.books.com
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 16340
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
    
    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;www.books.com.			IN	A
    
    ;; Query time: 2998 msec
    ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
    ;; WHEN: Mon Sep 16 13:03:35 EDT 2013
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 31
    
    mail:~ timmcmanus$ dig www.pfsense.com
    
    ; <<>> DiG 9.8.5-P1 <<>> www.pfsense.com
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 55163
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
    
    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;www.pfsense.com.		IN	A
    
    ;; Query time: 2998 msec
    ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
    ;; WHEN: Mon Sep 16 13:06:49 EDT 2013
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 33
    
    mail:~ timmcmanus$ 
    
    

    I had the DNS Forwarder turned on, but have since turned it off.  That didn't make any difference.  I need to use internal DNS for the internal network, and also to override publicly hosted sites that reside on internal servers.

    I don't see the queries being blocked in the firewall log, so I'm not sure what's going on.  I've enclosed screen shots from pfSense's internal DNS lookup too.  The server times out or doesn't respond to the queries.

    My settings and configuration work flawlessly under 2.0.3, but every time (this being the second) I upgrade to 2.1, it seems that my DNS infrastructure fails.

    This was an in-place upgrade, and I've also done completely fresh installs with the 2.1 CD (Live), and the same thing occurs when I load my settings up.

    Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    ![Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 1.12.27 PM.png](/public/imported_attachments/1/Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 1.12.27 PM.png)
    ![Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 1.12.27 PM.png_thumb](/public/imported_attachments/1/Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 1.12.27 PM.png_thumb)
    ![Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 1.13.11 PM.png](/public/imported_attachments/1/Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 1.13.11 PM.png)
    ![Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 1.13.11 PM.png_thumb](/public/imported_attachments/1/Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 1.13.11 PM.png_thumb)



  • There must be something wonky with my 2.0.3 settings that are causing 2.1 to crap out on me.

    I had to do a complete reinstall from CD to wipe the drive and am now in the process of manually parsing through the backup.xml file to rebuild my settings.


Log in to reply