New User

• Hello everybody!

Just installed on a Dell PowerEdge T110 II, Celeron G550, 2.6Ghz, 2 gig ram, 500 gig hard drive.  Tossed in an Intel dual-port nic and I'm up and running with WAN, LAN and unused on the 3rd nic.  Works great!

I had debated on a small form factor, or an appliance type device (Netgate, Lanner etc.) but decided to go for the tower.  Its quiet, runs at 29C and has some room to grow if I want to add some packages.

I have a question:  I'm a paranoid, OCD security nut and conspiracy theorist (aren't we all?)  and I was wondering what is going on in the dashboard that does any type of connection to get current release status?  Something has to go somewhere to check this status…right? :-)

Thank you,

me

• Netgate Administrator

It checks for updates by fetching the version file from updates.pfsense.org/_updaters (for 32bit installs).
    Additionally it will fetch the packages list if you open the packages menu and it periodically fetches an updated bogons list.

Steve

• Thank you very much.

I did find under System->Firmware, Updater Settings tab, a check box for " Disable the automatic dashboard auto-update check.".  In my mind, I would rather see this as a submit button ala "Check for Updates" and then I could just hit it whenever.  I'm sure others will prefer the automated check.

Good software lets users make choices and that is exactly what pfSense does in this case.

me