Prevent external queries to dns

• I am trying to find a way to prevent my pfsense firewall from replying to dns queries on the wan interface.  I added a rule to block port 53 udp/tcp on the wan interface but it still answers. any advice would be helpful

• Rebel Alliance

Are you sure ? How you have checked/determined that ?

Can you attach a screenshot of your WAN FW rules

• if you just want your clients to use only your dns servers specified in pfsense;
    in system->general tab uncheck(disable) "Allow DNS server list to be overridden by DHCP/PPP on WAN" option and that is it

• Rebel Alliance

@mendilli:

if you just want your clients to use only your dns servers specified in pfsense;
    in system->general tab uncheck(disable) "Allow DNS server list to be overridden by DHCP/PPP on WAN" option and that is it

Are you sure about that  ?

How the "Allow DNS server list to be overridden by DHCP/PPP on WAN" option  will prevent the FW to answer DNS queries on the WAN interface ?

@rbutler:

I am trying to find a way to prevent my pfsense firewall from replying to dns queries on the wan interface.  I added a rule to block port 53 udp/tcp on the wan interface but it still answers. any advice would be helpful

• Thanks for the reply.  this is not for clients on my lan network but is for computers on the internet. If someone does a dns query using the ip of the wan interface of pfsense as the dns server they get a response. I want to prevent this. I have attached a screenshot of the wan firewall rule I created to block request to port 53.

• @ptt:

Are you sure ? How you have checked/determined that ?

Can you attach a screenshot of your WAN FW rules

here is a screenshot of the firewall rules for the wan interface

• Rebel Alliance

How are you checking/testing ?

What is the purpose of the "total bandwith up/down" Rule ?

• @ptt:

when off site at home I do an nslookup querying the pfsense wan interface and get a reply.

• @ptt:

it was used for bandwidth limiter but it currently not used.

• Rebel Alliance

Your "Block" rule is wrong….

The Source port should be "Any"  not 53...  Only the "Dest" port should be 53  :)

Also, the "total bandwith up/down" Rule, allows traffic from "Any" to "Any".... get rid of that rule  ;)

• @ptt:

Your "Block" rule is wrong….

The Source port should be "Any"  not 53...  Only the "Dest" port should be 53  :)

Also, the "total bandwith up/down" Rule, allows traffic from "Any" to "Any".... get rid of that rule  ;)

thanks for the response.  I did change the source port to any and removed the bandwith up down rule. the up/down rule was to provide a rule for a limiter ( which I guess I do not have configured correctly). Once I removed the bandwith up/down rule dns responses were blocked correctly on the wan interface and I don't need the port 53 rule this was a total meatware problem.  :o